Amber

Johnson Rifle-New Member!

8 posts in this topic

Hello! New member here! I’m excited to of stumbled upon this group! I would love some insight on this gun if you guys don’t mind me picking your brains. 

Back story-This rifle has been in our family for as long as I can remember, it was given to us by an uncle in 1980 who had no children to pass it onto. Unfortunately, with that much time passing, people are now deceased. But I have been told it was a family member from that uncle who acquired the gun originally. 
I have no idea when the last time it was shot. 
Or what happened to the bayonet. 

My questions are: 

What info can I get on the serial number? 7142, I see that it doesn’t have a A or B. What does that mean?

Besides the Bayonet, what other parts do you see missing? 

What are your thoughts on the condition of this? 
I have been told that it’s never been restored or modified. 
Does that look to be true by your professionally trained eye? 

Looking to get it professionally appraised at some point. 
Any suggestions in Washington state that you know would be great! 
Appreciate all information- Thank you in advance! 

Amber 

10611DF9-87B4-47D8-92DF-46CDAA302B8F.jpeg

26A19147-1B42-418B-9D69-F6AEE23CE912.jpeg

6D111B25-B0C3-440B-A4FC-91C13B666F23.jpeg

BD417D37-8BE3-4E5B-B0A9-5825ABE5613A.jpeg

654CB18B-D9D6-4A34-AB92-BCB6DF634531.jpeg

E083E5B7-ECD0-4495-9095-EBBCF16C77C7.jpeg

788AB9D1-8B30-4C25-A8AB-9B0D7D9DA92B.jpeg

F873EE70-1134-4A16-9D1C-800C37CA31B5.jpeg

Hi Amber

First, the following information is provided from the production logs:

Receiver SN 7142, Received From: Cranston Arms, Date Received 2/27/1942, Stock No. 2,  Barrel No. 8108E, Hammer Block No. 8187, Hammer No. 9883, Bolt No.  3438, Locking Cam No. 8911, Firing Pin No. 5207,  Extractor No. 6992,  Magazine No. 4385, Disposition Date 3/3/1942, Transferred to J.A. Inc - N.P.C

That is to say, those listed parts, with listed Serial Numbers, were on the rifle when it left the factory, 3/3/1942

Without proper and reliable provenance, be very careful about any claims of both ownership and usage.

Second, the rear sight is missing and has been modified. The front sight has been modified. The barrel, appears to have been 'sanded', and  shows 2 grooves, which may be in the correct front to rear position, for the bayonet lug, but the barrel is rotated, nearly 150 degrees. The stock appears to have been altered or sanded, and has some possible issues, and without more  detailed photos, it is hard to assess the overall status. Similar quality photos like you have already submitted, but each showing  1/3rd of the rifle, showing right, left, top, bottom, from a 90degree position, would help. We could then look at each photo to make a better analysis.

ArtR

Welcome, there are some curious modifications on that rifle, did you have relatives serving in ww11?

phil

Imprint looks like H&R 1918 with W.E.H. beneath

Welcome to the Johnson 1941 forum! Congratulations on your family treasure you have shown us. We are always looking for original Johnson 1941 rifles that have not been damaged or altered from the way they left the factory back in the 1940s. Any changes from original usually decrease the value and many times people want to try to return the rifle to as close to original as possible for historic reasons or to make the rifle more valuable. Sometimes this can be done by swapping out parts but if some part of the rifle, stock, sights, barrel, etc., has been permanently altered, it cannot be returned to original military condition easily. 

But, in your case, you may not want to do anything because the rifle you have is as your family has had it for a long time and you might just want to clean it up some to enjoy looking at it or get it evaluated to actually try to shoot it. Family treasures carry a nostalgic value that you can't buy. Many of the Johnson rifles available today are still able to be shot even though they may not be exactly original. But, your rifle should be cleaned, lubricated and checked out by a gun smith who knows this rifle to make sure it functions safely. And the proper ammunition needs to be used so you don't damage the gun or yourself.

Your rifle does look like it needs a good cleaning of the wood stock, leather sling and probably the metal needs good lubrication. It has fantastic patina that came from years of storage and exposure to humidity and dirt. More pictures, as requested, would be nice.

So, again, welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your priceless family treasure. We'll help you enjoy your Johnson Model 1941 rifle as much as we do!

Best pic disassembled.JPG

Congratulations on your rifle. If you get south for any reason I would be happy to check out your rifle, make sure it is safe to shoot. Show you how to disassemble it. I live in Longview and am a 07FFL (manufacture) specializing in military arms. Here is a link to post on my personal JSAR project.

http://johnsonautomatics.com/messageboard/index.php?/topic/2893-new-member-trying-to-restore-1941-johnson/&page=1

Welcome to the forum Amber. Member Joseph Scott, on this forum, may still have for sale an excellent DVD for these rifles. He may have some of the parts you might need for sale too. I highly recommend replacing the recoil spring before you fire your rifle. A new spring is 12 inches long.