JK Defense

New member and serial number research for 6561, please

14 posts in this topic

Hi,

Bruce Canfield referred me here after I finally purchased my first JSAR and LMG. I’ve been intrigued by the Johnson family since the ‘80s but all the myths spewed by gun shop know-it-alls deterred me. 
     Anyway, I’m now the owner of (B?)6561. 

Jeff

IMG_2865.jpeg

If indeed some of those part SN's match, it might give credence to the rifle not having a prefix. However, if no part matches, I would still be suspicious that it might be a "B" prefix gun.

The following information is provided from the production logs:Receiver SN 6561, Received From: Cranston Arms, Date Received 2/17/1942, Stock No. 2, Barrel No. 8907E, Hammer Block No. 7032, Hammer No. 0137A, Bolt No.  5933, Locking Cam No. 7222, Firing Pin No. 2256,  Extractor No. 6398,  Magazine No. 8274, Disposition Date 2/191942, Transferred to J.A. Inc - N.P.C

Without proper and reliable provenance, be very careful about claims of both ownership and usage.

Also, if you would like forum members to comment about the condition of your rifle, please post high definition, quality photos showing all rifle views, and any suspected defects. Generally, photos taken with cell phones or quality cameras produce large files. If you crop the photos to the rifle in general, and scale the photos so the size is less than 2MB, uploading should work well, and the resulting photos will give reviewers enough detail to comment.

ArtR

Thanks for the data. None of the numbers in this rifle match what you have. In fact, three (so far) have been altered to match the receiver. 

Forced matching is unfortunate. Always nice to have original stampings, even without a match. How's the bore on your rifle?

The clown that put it up for auction decided to blast a ton of surplus ammo through it — and not clean it! I managed to neutralize the corrosive residue and removed the copper fouling. The rifling is a barely existent for the first 6”-8” but is better towards the muzzle. I tested it with a box of American Eagle “M1 Garand” ammo and it actually grouped very nicely at 100 yards. My wife and I averaged 2.5”-4” groups. The buttplate doesn’t sit flush against the stock. So you really feel that compressing and stabbing into your clavicle!

I intend to contact RIAC about it being an altered serial number and return it for a refund. It’s certainly not worth what I paid. 

While I am not claiming an altered SN and also not certain a 'B' prefix gun, but the very fact there is a partial and sharp strike of what appears to be the correct very top  portion of the letter 'B',  and in the correct spacing for a prefix, lends credibility to that being a viable  possibility.

ArtR

I can post a better picture but just compare the bottom portion of the two 6s. The first one is “weak” and appears to be partially scrubbed (wire brush wheel would be my guess). The second 6 is much more clearly defined and with more depth. 

We could always ask ATF to give it the acid treatment! /s

I have examined a couple hundred photos of JSAR  receiver stamps and can state the following.

The MFG impressions run the gambit from extremely sharp to somewhat hazy at times.

The SN impressions the same. Some are extremely sharp. Some look engraved vs stamped. Others are a bit light at times. SN alignments left to right are normally spot on. However, the vertical alignments range from perfectly even to off considerably, Usually it is the unit digit that is often off, usually a bit high strike. However, there are others that are all over the place. I have found a few and have inserted them for example.

B0601.jpg

B0601: Stamped, and well alignedB3601.JPG

B3601: B is a bit low and light, 3 is higher and better, 601 is heavier and highest

B3635.jpg

B3635: B is low and light on the bottom, 363 is higher, 5 is higher and light on the top

B3987.png

B3987: B is low and light on bottom, 398 is higher, 7 is higher and light on the top

B4398b.png

B4398: B is extremely low and lower part cut off, 4 is low and partly cut off, 39 higher, and 8 is higher and top nearly cut off

B4319.jpg

B4319: B is lowest and lower part cut off, 4 is low and lower part cut off, 31 higher, 9 sharper and appears like an over strike over a lighter 6

B8991.jpg

B8991: Definite grind marks

B8924.jpg

B8924: 8 looks like a double strike, 4 is higher and possibly canted to the right

B8863.jpg

B8863: 3 is high and top nearly cut off

B7633.jpg

B7633: This one is clearly engraved and an aftermarket remark, and evident due to numerous oversights by the person doing the work.

Yikes! Don’t let ATF see that last one. I’m hoping they don’t have to get involved in my case. I’ve had two cases of receivers having their serial numbers either nearly erased from sand-blasting prep or the finish nearly filled it in. Fortunately, the manufacturers were still in business and got waivers to transfer the serial numbers to new receivers. The process took nearly two years! I can’t imagine what they’d do for an OOB manufacturer — other than seize it. 

I’m a Type 10 FFL and they wouldn’t allow me, or the manufacturer, to even just re-strike the serial number to proper depth. The upside was getting a new transferable lower from Olympic Arms that was better quality than the previous lower. 

If you look at the highlighted areas, you see what appears to be burrs. Plus the area leading up to the possible B does not feel even with the rest of the receiver. I guess the best way to describe the first six is that it feels/looks “folded in”. 

I finished disassembling the rifle and found a few more parts where the numbers were attempted to match — with electro pen!!

IMG_2911.jpeg

IMG_2912.jpeg

IMG_2913.jpeg

IMG_2914.jpeg

Just possibly a good idea, since you found parts with 'SN' remarks

2 hours ago, JK Defense said:

RIAC is accepting it back. So my hunt for a JASR resumes. 

Glad they are taking care of you with the return. Your expertise with identifying the “folded in” issues probably helped a lot. 

Don't worry...they'll sell it again. Glad you are able to return it and good luck on your search. Check Guns International also.