mmeridith

JOHNSON MODEL 1941 LIGHT MACHINE GUN

10 posts in this topic

LOT #1009:

(N) EXTREMELY LOW SERIAL NUMBER "0102" USMC DOCUMENTED CRANSTON ARMS CO. JOHNSON MODEL 1941 LIGHT MACHINE GUN WITH ORIGINAL AMNESTY REGISTRATION PAPERWORK 

Morphy Auction

Nice find!  This 0102 is also listed in Canfields book. Page 246 under transfer dates and serial numbers. 

I've seen a couple of fully transferable genuine M1941 LMGs bring upwards of $75K at auction several years ago. The Morphy estimate seems low but, like anything else, it is worth what something is willing to pay.

I looked back at some of my  notes, and in the past 7-8 years, some 13 LMG's have been reported as sold on various auctions sites, with prices ranging from an extreme low of $17250 which I suspect may have truly been an SMLG, to $63250. The majority (8) of my notes range from $29000 to $63250. Some of the larger numbers also included mags and bipods.

8 hours ago, Bruce Canfield said:

I've seen a couple of fully transferable genuine M1941 LMGs bring upwards of $75K at auction several years ago. The Morphy estimate seems low but, like anything else, it is worth what something is willing to pay.

Thanks for the info

7 hours ago, ArtR said:

I looked back at some of my  notes, and in the past 7-8 years, some 13 LMG's have been reported as sold on various auctions sites, with prices ranging from an extreme low of $17250 which I suspect may have truly been an SMLG, to $63250. The majority (8) of my notes range from $29000 to $63250. Some of the larger numbers also included mags and bipods.

Thanks!

On 8/27/2023 at 7:07 PM, WHIG said:

Who can afford to shoot these neat firearms anymore? Most just sit in a safe somewhere!

Generally, if you can afford to buy any NFA weapon, you will also have the means to feed it. You know that you will pay a hefty price, as well as having to  fill out an ATF-Form 4, pay the $200.00 tax and wait for the form 4 approval, sometimes 8-12 months. The tax is a pittance  compared to the actual cost for the NFA weapon.

I've shot some machine guns during training years ago. (Other people's.) We always supplied our own ammo. I admit, it was fun the first or second time. After some experience running through ammo supplies quickly, and I reload thousands of rounds of 9mm, .45 ACP and other small calibers at a time, I decided I had no intention or desire to ever own a machine gun. I do like to shoot what I buy and own.

You are right, though, that pockets deep enough to afford these things can afford lots of ammo, I guess. Neat Johnson LMG!

Of course this thread should have been under LMG s , but just to finish it , Bruce was very close 0102 hammered out at 70k with buyers prem.

Phil