Rarebearcat

New member with serial 8296

8 posts in this topic

Thanks for adding me to the site.  I recently purchased a Johnson rifle, number 8296.  I'll add pictures later, but it is a bit of a mess.  Winfield mods, the butt pad is crumbling and the bayonet lug has been removed.  The worst part is that a Lyman receiver sight has been installed, looks like it has been welded on.  There is a star on the right side of the receiver, but no Cranston arms stamp.  What info is out there for #8296?

Hi rarebearcat:

The following information is provided from the production logs:

Receiver SN 8296, Received From: Cranston Arms, Date Received 3/23/1942, Stock No. 2, Barrel No. 4700E, Hammer Block No. 7553, Hammer No. 0303A, Bolt No.  2696, Locking Cam No. 8919, Firing Pin No. A4854,  Extractor No. 8919,  Magazine No. A0168, Disposition Date 3/24/1942, Transferred to J.A. Inc - N.P.C

Without proper and reliable provenance, be very careful about claims of both ownership and usage.

Also, if you would like forum members to comment about the condition of your rifle, please post high definition, quality photos showing all rifle views, and any suspected defects. Generally, photos taken with cell phones or quality cameras produce large files. If you crop the photos to the rifle in general, and scale the photos so the size is less than 2MB, uploading should work well, and the resulting photos will give reviewers enough detail to comment.

ArtR

pics of the rifle.  I need a recoil pad for sure.  Would like to put original sites on it but looks like peep site is welded on.

the bonus is the NoBuck model 1917 sling.

Now that i look closer, is that last digit of the serial number a 5 or 6?

IMG_3003.jpeg

IMG_3002.jpeg

IMG_2998.jpeg

IMG_3004.jpeg

IMG_3007.jpeg

IMG_3008.jpeg

IMG_3005.jpeg

Wait a minute!  Is the raised cheek rest on the left side for a lefty shooter?  I had a Winfield with a decaying butt pad as well. I don’t think you would find an original replacement these days now.  

I can’t make out the last serial number digit. That’s a tough one. 

Have you verified what caliber it actually is. Winfield had a few calibers to choose from when purchasing.  Don’t always trust the 30-06 stamped on the collars.

Have fun with this. You’ll love it. 

Rarebearcat: if you could, please take a few more photos of the SN from different 'angles' (left, right, up, down) so that the light shows up in the grooves a little different, and I will work some magic on them and see what I might determine. Due to the light source, it is difficult  right now for me to make a better determination, but I see what you mean. And humor me. What is the SN on the bolt?

And your sling...is a NO BUCKL PAT'D 7-21-14, so definitely WW1 era.

ArtR

Rarebearcat: I am not sure if you have had a chance to disassemble the rifle, but if and when you get a chance. check for SN's for all the parts listed that are on the rifle compared to parts that shipped. If you list them all, we could possibly check those SN's to the other possible rifle SN 8295. Any one possible match to 8296 or 8295 might help zero in on what last digit really is. My normal 'edit tricks' failed to bring out a definitive answer.