Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ArtR

Happy Turkey Day 2023

8 posts in this topic

Wishing one and all a Happy Thanksgiving!

Hope you all get to join loved ones to give thanks.

I was up at 5AM and removed giblets from the turkey, and found it nearly fully thawed. Started them cooking and proceeded to  dice bread, onions, celery for homemade bread and giblet stuffing. Got the bird stuffed and trussed and had it in the oven for 8AM. Estimated cook time 3.5-4hrs with estimated eating at 12:30-1PM.

Menu: Turkey, stuffing, gravy, mash potato, butternut squash, maple glazed carrots, roasted garlic broccoli, sweet corn,  cranberry
jelly & cranberry-orange relish (I made relish and cooked squash yesterday), olives, pickles, pumpkin and apple pie, cider, coffee, ....did I forget
something?

ArtR

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. And happy Thanksgiving to all the members of this site.

Happy Thanksgiving all!  Art, you're ahead of me... I'm baking pies, and the turkey breast is just about thawed.  My crew seems to go big for Pillsbury Grands and stuffing, but this year balked at sweet potato casserole or mashed potatoes, so they're getting Checkers seasoned fries! :D

Great to hear from some. Back safely at home, after nearly 6+ hours at my daughters place. She and I worked well together and the meal was on the table about 15 minutes early. As there were 10 of us, and the table is limited in size, she likes to serve buffet style....so....looking from back to front: corn, turkey with stuffing, mash potato, carving board, maple glazed carrots, gravy, extra stuffing, roasted garlic broccoli, home made dill pickles,  black& green olives, jellied cranberry sauce, and cranberry relish. After I put the camera down, I took my position carving the bird, ans she stood next to me and served our younger crew. Everyone else then began to load their plates, as I carved away.  We killed half of a 15# bird. They forgot the cider, but my son-in-law stepped up and offered Vermont's own Woodchuck Hard Cider, which several of us partook of. The rest had milk or juice.  Pies were not in the photo, but two great home made pies. Apple with apples from a local orchard, and pumpkin, which recently was our Halloween prop. Great time and no one went home hungry.

DSC_2605a.JPG

It was a good day for the Johnson's, too.... Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

Edited by Ed Johnson
spelling error

Family at Thanksgiving is the best. We don't eat turkey. Our family tradition is crab cakes from Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs. My wife and I are both from Maryland and have eaten crabs all of our lives. I used to catch them in the bay years ago. We live in Ohio now and have to have it flown in from Maryland but all of our kids and their spouses now expect crab cakes for Thanksgiving and Christmas. We're getting the grand kids used to it also. Only the best from Chesapeake Bay. Much better than lobster, if you've never had the pleasure. I make pumpkin rolls and we have shrimp also.

Just a different tradition we have had for many years. Gettin awful expensive now, though!!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Turkey has been a New England tradition for nearly as long as time.  A recent National Geographic Society article was about how the native American wild turkey has made a comeback, after having nearly been hunted into oblivion. But as WHIG has pointed out, traditions travel with time. Another recent article expounded upon what was the traditional favorite American Pie...Apple, Pumpkin, and the list went on and on because different parts of the country have different traditions and favorites. That is what is so great about this country. And that is the core element, and as WHIG said, "Family at Thanksgiving is the best."

A day late but Happy Turkey day to all.  We all have much to be thankful for, even in these challenging times.

Frank