Jaay

Johnson A0097 "sporter"

8 posts in this topic

Got this Johnson rifle from a recently deceased dear friend and avid military collector.  Unfortunately some previous Bubba sportorized it poorly.  Ground off rear sight base, dovetail new sight to the rear,  silver solderd new front sight (original removed along with bayonet lug), cheek peice on rear stock (nice job) and recoil pad. 

Not sure if restoration is worth it, although it does deserve it.

20240209_095324.jpg

20240209_095334.jpg

20240209_095340.jpg

20240209_095417.jpg

20240209_095451.jpg

20240209_095345.jpg

20240209_095351.jpg

Welcome to the Johnson forum. Many experts here who can help you out with your Model 1941 Johnson rifle.

It is a nice rifle but has lost a lot of collector's value because of the permanent alterations. New stock and rear sight could help but then you are getting into high cost. But, it's up to you as to what you choose to do. Having it repaired would be nicer, though. As it is, is should still be a good shooting rifle! Congrats on your new addition to the family.

Thanks WHG.  I have the means to do the restoration.  Just getting the needed parts will take some time.  There's a front sight on ebay but it seems rather pricey. 

Shoot straight 

Jaay

Hi and welcome to forum. While restorations are possible, as some have indicated, costs may be prohibitive, and you may never be able to fix all the damage, so it will never really gain in value. Maybe just use and enjoy, and if you feel you need a full military, keep looking. It would be interesting to know how the bore is and how it shoots. That in and of itself may give you some insight. One way to look at it. A working JSAR is still a JSAR, and will be a conversation piece, regardless.

I'd think that the recontoured receiver would pretty much preclude a restoration to the original configuration. 

Nice looking stock, and the serial number is rather attractive.  I do have to agree with tsmgguy. This sporter should remain a sporter. 

Thanks for all you comments.  The bore looks very good.  Ill have to shoot it once the weather permits.  Based on all your input I guess I will leave it as it is.  Thanks again.

Jaay