Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tinsoldier

Unusual stamping on JSAR trigger guard

10 posts in this topic

Has anyone else discovered a character stamped on the bottom of their JSAR trigger guard?  This one is tiny - about the same size as the Dutch acceptance star, but has 6 points like a spur.

It's on one of my B prefix rifles.

JSARf.jpg

Boy, that's a new on on me.

16 hours ago, ArtR said:

Boy, that's a new on on me.

Thanks for replying Art... I actually had taken the rifle all apart over a year ago, and cleaned it without noticing this.  At 64, my eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be.  I just thought it was a 'ding' until I went to put a sling on it the other day.   

It's possibly the "Star of David" mark of Israel. You may have to do some research to even get an inkling of that chapter of Lyndon Johnson's dealings with Israel.

59 minutes ago, M48TANKER said:

It's possibly the "Star of David" mark of Israel. You may have to do some research to even get an inkling of that chapter of Lyndon Johnson's dealings with Israel.

Thanks M48TANKER, I suppose it's possible, although it doesn't look like the stampings on my 2 Israeli Mauser bayonets... I will definitely try to research that.  

Star of David stampings on 2 Israeli bayonets.  The 6 points broaden out toward the center significantly more than those on the JSAR 'spur' stamping.  ?????

20240424_151927.jpg

20240424_151708.jpg

20240424_152349_(1).jpg

I was reading a post on GunBoards about a Model 1903 receiver built to fit a Model 1922 .22LR stock with a Lyman adjustable rear sight on it. This sporter rifle had many features and clues to signify, in one person's researched opinion, that it had been converted by the Marines for NM competitive shooting.

It has a nice star stamped under the 1942 replacement barrel date from the M1903 .30 cal rifle. The responder mentioned the following regarding the stamped star:

"The star under the barrel date is nicknamed the Philly Star. It shows up on a lot of Marine target rifles and even on some Marine 1903A1 Unertl Snipers. We still to this day don't know when they applied the star and what exactly the meaning was. But it shows up on a lot of Marine rifles that were used for target practice or snipers."

So, I don't know if there is a connection here or not to your star. Very interesting!

Tinsoldier, you are right....not much resemblance to an actual "Israeli" marking. I had never compared them before.

I'm still trying to find out what company made the scabbards for the Chilean contract bayonets.

Doesn't look like an M1903 barrel star gauge, either.  

11028601_2.jpg

Thanks all, I appreciate the replies.  Just one more mystery to add, I guess.