Matt K.

Bayonet

9 posts in this topic

Gents,

I hit a really nice show today and picked up Johnson #3. Another dealer had a bayonet, which I am sure is original, but it had two different 4-digit numbers etched into it.

I know they didn't come numbered, but have been told the Dutch numbered them.

It was $350, which I guess is somewhere in the going rate. My question is: Does the two sets of numbers hurt the value as opposed to an no-number bayonet?

Yes, having two sets of numbers makes it totally worthless.

Send it to me.......

What I meant was for the same price or $50 more I can probably get an un-numbered original. Does it really matter should have been my question.

Guys,

It doesn't make a hill of beans as whether or not a Johnson bayonet is numbered. Some collectors would prefer un-numbered bayonets and an un-numbered bayo and scabbard in decent shape will bring a higher price depending on condition. Numbers were stamped not etched. Un-numbered was the way they left JA. Should one find two or three sets of numbers stamped only means it may have gone to another person or rifle. If the digits are as you reported etched then YES it will detract from the price. Does it make it totally worthless ? Jim says NO and I agree with him 100%. As I had previously stated these number were stamped in not etched. Don't let anyone tell you different. From what I've seen on the auction websites you did well. If you only got the bayonet for 350. OUCH! If you got the bayo and scabbard then you did well. Check out the websites section on bayonets. When I did this the bayo and scabbards are from my collection. Got to Go!

walt B)

Mitch,

I'm curious as to what numbers your bayonets match. Do they match your rifles? or do they match the scabbards?

Walt B)

Walt, Just Kidding, I dont have any Matching number Bayo's or rifles.

I was just playing on the idea people claim Johnsons have matching numbers..

I do have a nice bridge for sale in Brooklyn though!!

:rolleyes:

I will gladly trade a brand new bayonet and sheath for your old dirty ones with ugly numbers and such. My trade bayonets are guaranteed 100% original SARCO issue and as any experienced collector knows, the SARCO tent pegs are almost as desirable as an all-matching number JSAR in 9mm. :rolleyes: