Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
amram

1941 barrel question

5 posts in this topic

I have a 1941 johnson sitting around that i bought many many years ago. the bore is 3006 and is dark. should i and can i get a good replacement barrel for it??

Thanks

AM,

I would check with Joe Scott for a replacement barrel (he can be reached from the site.) I'm not sure what he gets for them. I do know first hand that they are of first quality and you won't be disappointed.

walt B)

Thanks Walt for your quick response.

I have contacted Mr. Scott and his replacement barrell sounds great . also since i have posted this i have stripped and cleaned the rifle completely. found the barrel is a johnson 30 06 with matching number on collar and proof mark but not the barrel it was shipped with/ the bolt carier is correct the firing pin is changed from original the hammer is correct. this has all been a lot of fun also the original barrel is not as dark as i thought just full of grease and lint but a shooter but not perfect. i always thought the rifle was refinished with a wonderfull park on a poor buff job but now i know those marks on the side of the reciever are factory i don't think it has been refinished now. the only thing i don't understand is there is no cranston mark on the heel of the reciever nor do i see any evidence of buffing. is this mark on all rifles??? the only change ican see is that someone has laquered the stock and a rather nice job of it to it looks great on the rifle. other than the laquer the stock is complete military no scratches and no sanding either.i just wonder if this could be an arsenal rebuild ?

Thanks

Hi

If you could post a picture of where Cranston mark should be-that would help on any comment about buffing-are there machine markings there?

Tim

i will try to post a picture. the reciever doesn't seem to have been refinished or machined or buffed. the cranston triangle should be on the right rear flat surface just under the peep. is this correct?