Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leigh

Pics or M-1941 S/N 1206

4 posts in this topic

Here is a link to some pics of my Rifle S/N 1206.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p...19644&members=1

The pics include the BBL number and Bolt number.

I need to replace the butt of the rifle as it has a non original, though pretty good looking one. I have already been in contact with Joesph Scott. It will also need a replacement spring steel tang for the cross pin.

I wonder how many other Johnsons are here in Australia?

Not many I would imagine.

Thanks.

Leigh

Tim, as best I can tell from your pictures, the stock looks like it might be original but missing the glued on side "cheeks" behind the magazine. Have seen quite a few over the years. If rest of stock is ok, you can glue on walnut pieces, file them to shape, and stain to match. If the tang is broken off your cross-pin, there is no way to fix one, replace with new pin. I know there are several Johnson's in New Zealand, imported from East Indies a few years ago. Some may have made Australia then or during WW2. Can you trace history of gun?

I left pics of the stock out. It is missing a rear sling swival and cut out for it and dosent fit the stock where it meets with the rear of the receiver.

As the numbers match I do think that it have have been originally aquired from the East Indies somehow.

Thanks.

Leigh