Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Scott

Gavutu-Tanambogo battle report

4 posts in this topic

I purchased a copy of the battle report from Ken Haney. It is signed by Captain Harry L. Torgerson, whom we know was a Johnson fan. In the additional notes he states that the landing force carried six Johnson rifles. Three were carried by officers and three by men. They also carried JLMG's but does not give number used. He states "The J.L.M.G.'s also performed very well." "---it seems that this weapon will in time replace the B.A.R." One of the men recommended for Distingshed Service Cross was Tulley, Harry M. PlSgt. He probably carried one of the JAR's. As previously reported, Capt. Torgerson's auto-carbine has been located. He doesn't state what happened to the other Johnson rifles of the 23 "loaned" to paramarines nor what he carried. A tough 3 day battle which cost the marines about 78 casualtires out of 397 men. If anyone has more details on this first use of Johnson weapons in combat, please share it.

my uncle was in C COMPANY 1ST PARA. BN. 1ST MAR.DIV.AND fought at bloody ridge according to a couple of friends of his who were there with him he carried a 1941 johnson rifle.i have a picture of him sitting in a tent with his rifle.

he was wounded by shrapnel in the right shoulder and back on BLOODY RIDGE ALSO KNOWN AS EDSONS RIDGE.

he later went on to 5th mar.div.after paramarines were disbanded and was killed in action on 19 feb 45 on iwo jima.

he was with 27th mar.div.company A.

HE WAS A SENECA INDIAN FROM THE CATTARAUGUS INDIAN RESERVATION NEAR BUFFALO,NEW YORK

I HOPE TO FIND OUT MORE INFORMATION ON HIM.

I HAVE A PLATOON ROSTER FROM 13 SEPT45

According to the report, Co "C" was the third wave landing on Gavutu and was subject to rifle and machine gun fire in their boats. Hill 148 was finally taken about 1600 with many of the casualities then. "A systematic destruction of the enemy then took place on Gavutu. In the meantime, Companies "A" and "C" cleared the lower portions of the island and kept the enemy down on Tanambogo." Ken Haney sells copies for about $8-10 on Ebay, uses name Leatherneck175. He knows a great deal about the Paramarines. Contact him, he may know something on your uncle. Ken also has published a book "Hold The Line", The 1st Marine Parachute Battalion's raid on Koiari, Bouganville, November, 43. Good guy to deal with.

19pm45, You must be very proud in having such a patriotic uncle. It is hard these days to fully understand the heroes we had during WW2. Your uncle is at the top of the list. Thank you and your family for their dedication to the United States and all that they gave and stand for. Cordially, Alasdair