Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Guest_xsexcess

m-1 carbine 357 magnum conversion

2 posts in this topic

Some time ago I acquired a large cache of old gun magazines. Reading them is quite an education as the publishers had not become afraid to tell people how to do minor gunsmithing for fear of litigation.

I came across a reference in the August 1964 issue of Shooting Times in P.O. Ackley's gunsmithing column (pp74). A reader asked if it's possible to convert the M-1 carbine to 357 magnum. Ackley says he doesn't know, but he (Ackley) had re-bored several 357 barrels for gunsmiths. He refers the reader to Mel Johnson, Johnson's Guns, Inc., 152 Temple St., New Haven Conn.

So, there may be a 357 magnum version of the Johnson M-1 carbine conversion out there.

Perhaps you already knew this.

Mike Cobb

Neither Dad nor I ever produced an M1 Carbine for .357 Magnum. Mi Carbine bolt face and ejector claw were not suitable for rimmed cartridge. If anyone did a successful conversion, it would be in the wildcat category. I believe someone did manufacture a "carbine" in .357 magnum, possibly Universal or Ruger. I have never fired one of these, or seen one close up. I do remember seeing ads back in the sixties. Ed J