Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spikedd

Help With M1941 Bayonet

10 posts in this topic

Hello Gents,

This bayonet came with the JAR I recently bought and after reading the article by Mr. Walt Liss I feel the bayonet is original but seems to have very poor casting properties. Never having seen one before I have no reference to compare it to being " normal ".

The sheath I have no idea about as it certainly doesn't look like any example pictured in Mr. Liss's article. The bayonet has been with the sheath long enough to have caused a wear depression as seen in the 4th photo. Does anyone have an idea to what bayonet this sheath belongs to ?

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p...40477&members=1

Thank you for any input.

David

This is one of the JSAR bayonet sheaths made for the Chilean Contract 7mm rifles. It is a lot rarer than the normal M1941 sheath.

They are usually in mint condition like yours or at least very good. It is most likely that the bayonet & sheath were not issued as the 7mm rifles were in a similar excellent condition when they were sold in the 1980's by Navy arms.

If you look carefully on the it should be marked with a date and JA.

A nice piece of scarce equipment for your collection.

Hello Jim,

Thank you very much for your reply. My rifle seems to be as you described with a Navy Arms import mark as well. I believe I read somewhere in the archives that some of these rifles may have been in stores in NJ before Navy Arms purchased them ?, which is where I live and I had been to Navy Arms many times, but not in the 80's.

I sent a e-mail to Mr. Lamoreaux in hopes of finding out more details about my rifles history and contract information. I will re-post the link to pics and serial number here as well so you can have a look and offer an opinion.

Rifle# 6674, No prefix

Thank you again.

David

Nice looking rifle!

The muzzle cover is an accessory that I have not seen before. Jim, is that an "original". Do not remember any references previously?

Maybe Joe could come up with a re-creation - looks like a piece of stamped steel brazed to a brass cup.

ArtR

One of my 7mm rifles came with the same muzzle cover and I have seen another 7mm rifle that had one, too.

I don't put it on because it causes wear on the finish of the barrel.

Gentleman,

Thank you for your comments. Having been part of the milsurp collecting "circle" for 20 years or so now I can honestly say I've never had a bad encounter with folks of like interests as we share. I am not sure of why this is but I have often though it to be the common ground we share in the respect and admiration for the history, the men ( the loss of ) and the rifles they carried to protect what we hold so dear to our hearts... Our Freedom.

I am sure there are many people who would no believe the close friendships that have developed through the exchange of, or just a mere conversation of a firearm.

If Joe needs to have an example of this muzzle cover as a template to reproduce one, I will gladly send him mine. I am always happy to give something back as I feel others have given much of themselves that we all have benefited from.

David

Thanks, Brian.

I think there have been comments made before about this ads contents....such as "experimental", "made up for police department use", "with Chilean proof marks", etc.

What is really interesting, is what Brian did, that is drag out some history (saved copies) and show pricing. At or about the same time, what were '30-06 JSARS going for?

Details for JSAR 6674

Delivered from Cranston Arms to Johnson Automatics Manufacturing Co. : 1/29/42

Stock # 2

Barrel # 7271E

Hammer Block # 6219

Hammer # 8369

Bolt # 3669

Locking Cam # 6771

Firing Pin # 1928

Extractor # 5208

Magazine # 6852

Delivered from Jamco to Johnson Automatics Inc 2/3/42

Contract : Govt. of Chile

Hope this is of some use. Let us know if anything matches the original configuration.

Hello Jim,

Thank you for taking the time to research my rifle. I greatly appreciate it. I'm as excited as a little kid at the moment but I can only go so far with the rifle as I havn't a clue how to break it down except for the barrel and I don't want to damage anything in the least. I will buy the proper books now that I know it is what it is and check the website also for instruction.

Right off I can tell you the barrel doesn't match.. It is 7603E ,but 7mm.

The bolt does in fact match... 3669

I will get the rest as soon as I can and post a list. Thank you again !!

David

UPDATE: I found the instructions on this sight and have the following:

Barrel # 7603E--- Mismatch

Hammer Block # 6219--- Match

Hammer # 8369--- Match

Bolt # 3669--- Match

Locking Cam # 6671--- match

Firing Pin # 3587--- Mismatch

Extractor # 5208--- Match

Magazine # 6852--- Match

ADDED.. Link to photos of above

I can see a firing pin change being normal... Any thoughts to why the barrel change ?

I'm very happy and thank you all again for everything.

David