Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tucker

Wher can I buy a Johnson rifle?

7 posts in this topic

Hello all, I am new here but I would like to buy a Johnson rifle. Can anyone give me a contact name? I am looking for someone that is honest, as I know very little about them. Any replies will be appreciated. Thanks Tucker tuckerw1@verizob.net

Well I had a very nice gentleman contact me about the sale of his rifle. To be honest I thought the asking price of $4500 was high. Am I totally out of my mind or just crazy thinking I can get a nice rifle for about $3500? If anyone knows of a decent 1941 Johnson in the $3500 range please have them contact me at tuckerw1@verizon.net Thanks

"Nice" original configuration Johnson rifle for $3500 are very hard to come by these days. Not impossible, but you will have to seek it out. Anybody who has one and knows what they are going for is unlikely to part with it for $3500.

The online gun auctions may offer you a chance if there are few bidders. I believe one sold a short while ago for $3900. If you have a little give in your price, you may find one.

You also never know what turns up at guns shows if you get there early.

Good luck.

Matt is correct. "Original" JSARs, unless they are really rough, generally bring $4500 and up. $3500 is usually the going rate for refinished, rebarreled, restocked, etc. Sometimes one can get lucky...I have...but if you want it now, you must pay the price. Remember, as with any collector grade US Martial, quality is paramont and a more reliable investment. Most sellers don't know what they have and assume originality and high value since it is a JSAR. Buy from someone reputable who will stand behind it and take it back if "problems" arise or it does not turn out to be as described. Again, it is not a matter of trying to "fleece" a customer but rather that most don't know enough about JSARs to really know what they are selling (or buying).

On the plus side, if you find a JSAR for a "fair" price, it's like money in the bank, because the price trend is ever upward on this relatively scarce and highly desirable firearm. Should you find a "nice" one for $3500, consider yourself very lucky indeed and jump on it like a possum on a plate of spaghetti.

But.... make sure you know what you're getting before you buy it. The folks on this forum are very knowledgeable, and very helpful, don't hesitate to ask. For example, if you see something on the web - particularly a piece with a lot of photographs, they can usually discern a good portion of the authenticity or originality of the piece from photographs. A number of weapons were "converted" for civilian use, with modified stocks, drilled for scope mounts, etc. and while these are still interesting and valuable, they do not have the value of a completely original, untouched weapon.

On rare occasions one can find an "all matching numbers" JSAR for sale and from these you should run fast, as there ain't no such animal. JSAR's were not deliberately assembled with matching part numbers.

Good luck in your search!

Well I did it! After much worry about spending so much I bought a Johnson today. Bougt it from a very nice gentleman who must have read this message. He only lives an hour away and I met him at the Harrisburg gun show. I cannot wait to try it out. Unfortunately we had a snow storm so it will have to wait at least a week. I will let everyone know how it does. Thanks for your help. I am sure I will seek further assistance in the future. May need help with disassembly and reassembly.