Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Scott

Used Parts -"again"

4 posts in this topic

Because of the popularity and price, all sorts of parts and guns are being resurrected. I find that almost all of the used parts have something wrong with them such as mis-machined length or worn diameters. I received a barrel parts set to install and almost ruined a new barrel because the rear collar was cut 1/16" (one turn) on the face. The index mark was refiled and looked like it should. When I cut a chamber, I have a micrometer stop on the reamer which is stopped by back of collar. After cutting .010" more than normal and still not able to turn test bolt, I stopped and stripped off collar. THEN, I found it was short causing me to ream chamber too deep. As owner wanted this collar on barrel, I spent two plus hours remachining end of barrel to accept short collar and have room for bolt head to rotate. Shame on me for not checking length before starting. Rear collar should be at least 1.050" long. However, I will not accept anymore disassembled collars for reuse. Parts on an assembled barrel are OK. I have seen about 10-12 rear collars that were shortened when someone thought this was a way to correct a deep reamed chamber. Also his center collar was worn in diameter.

A number of guns lately have had problems with missing firing pin springs, dented front end, impact hammered bolt stops and other such problems. I would bet that most of the parts and guns now sold are around because there was something wrong in years past that prevented their use. One recent sporter barrel had the collars out of alignment causing the front guide lug to drag in the radiator slot and the barrel did not want to return forward.

I am still working on fixing a dented radiator front section. They are usually dented just enough to make barrel travel hard. Anyone got any hints? Sorry for the long rant, but it may help someone from buying bad stuff.

Joe, I think you just boosted the asking price of operative weapons up a few hundred dollars! :D

John D.