Ridge Runner

What spare parts should I keep on hand?

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I wanted to know your opinions on what spare parts I should keep on hand for a JAR.

I know that JAR are made with quality parts, but I always feel better having some "extras" on hand for just in case.

Firing pin?

Springs?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Ridge Runner,

On the Johnson Automatics site, on the Identification Page, under Accessories, it says "It has been reported that Johnson Rifles were issued with a small wax paper envelope containing a replacement extractor, firing pin, and hammer spring - all heavily greased for storage. These 'spares packages' were found in the lightening cut located under the butplate".

Identification Page @ Johnson Automatics.com

It's a safe bet that there was good reason for the rifles to be issued with those parts. The extractor is an obvious candidate, as is the complete firing pin assembly. I don't know about failure rates of the hammer spring, but an ejector may be a better idea for combat. An extra hammer block pin with intact retainer might be a good idea, as would the recoil spring.

Be advised, it has been stated that if the recoil spring is replaced, the firing pin spring probably needs to be replaced also, to prevent slamfires. This would probably apply to all recoil operated firearms, including the M1911 series pistols.

I remember someone posting pictures of the 'spares package' envelope and contents, following much debate as to weather the the spares package was fact or fantasy. That pretty well ended the debate. As I recall, the paper was more like cotton gauze on wax paper, and was heavily greased. That was the only instance I'm aware of, of someone finding one in a butstock, and must've been a nice surprize. I had no such luck with either of my originally stocked JSARs.

I hope more members jump in here, and give me a little back-up. The referenced posts were several years ago, on the original message board. It would be interesting if someone re-posted those pictures, too. Mr.s Pullen, Liss, and Scott, among others, might be able to offer far better insight regarding the spares question than I.

Happy Easter to all.

Semper Fi,

Rick S.

Ridge Runner,

I thought I'd throw my two cents in and suggest a spare magazine door spring or two. I keep a bolt catch and an ejector because it just seems like a good idea, but two door springs because the only problem I have ever personally experienced, and only on one of my JSAR's, is with that door spring, (and I hope it stays that way!). :)

Happy Easter,

Mike

In my opinion, the stock package shown several years ago was from a British rifle. I have never found proof that the stocks actually had parts. However, Jim's research for his new book may determine if they did. The most obvious thing to include would have been the "pull pins" as they could be lost or the fingers broken off, but I don't think they were mentioned. As far as breakage, the materials were absolutely the best and I haven't seen a broken part from use, only abuse from lack of knowledge. If the firing pin spring is in place and still retained by the small collar, it will probably never break. Mostly I find the small collars loose on firing pin from someone have moved them. They have three small internal parts which are swaged into the groove and these are destroyed when you move the collar. From my viewpoint, I don't recommend any spare parts. Such parts tend to end up in drawers and not sold with a gun, then forgotten. Best spare part is a good cleaning kit used after every shoot.