Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Scott

1941 LMG value?

2 posts in this topic

I have a lead on a legal lmg. Does anyone have feel on value? I talked to several class three dealers and they felt the previous $65K price was/is a fluke. Value will vary depending on who is listed on the paperwork as manufacturer. If other than factory, it is considered a rewat and less value. Any input is appreciated, even better is another one for sale. Thanks

Joe,

Whether it was a fluke or not, the last recorded M1941 Johnson LMG did sell for $62,500. It was a nice gun but wasn't anything extraordinary (no USMC or FSSF provenance, etc.).

I admit I was quite surprised by the price that gun brought but in today's Class III market, I guess nothing should surprise me.

I suspect that the dealers who claim the previous LMG price was a fluke, don't have one for sale! If they did, they may look at that sale in an entirely different light.

In short, genuine transferable M1941 LMGs are so rare on the market today that the price is simply what a buyer is willing to pay and a seller is willing to accept. However, as any appraiser will tell you, the best estimate for what something is worth is what a similar item actually sold for recently.

Who knows, in five or ten years the $62,500 gun maybe viewed as a bargain.