Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
David Slam

Book Review: Johnson's Rifles and Machine Guns

5 posts in this topic

I've just finished reading Bruce Canfield's Book, Johnson's Rifles and Machine Guns. The reader will find this book to be a comprehensive and thorough discussion of Johnson's weapons, life, and personality. Like Bruce's other books, it's written in a snappy, familiar style that is easy to read and lends itself well to serious research or casual, "for fun" reading alike.

I was particularly pleased with all the emphasis on Johnson's life. I think a proper understanding of his weapons is possible only if you know what sort of man spawned them, and the descriptions of his personal triumphs and tragedies left me feeling a little more personally attached to my rifle. The photographs are excellent and very entertaining.

I realize that several other people contributed significantly to this book, including several people on this message board. Thanks, from one reader at least, for all of this effort. It's made me much more interested in Johnson's weapons, and I think instead of having a "representative" example of the '41 rifle, I might just keep my eye open for more of them, and some of the things that go along with them, too.

Great book, great read, and great resource for anyone; from the reader with a casual interest in history up to the serious collector.

You can order the book from http://www.brucecanfield.com/

I'm glad you enjoyed the book and thanks for the kind words. There needs to be a lot of credit given to the co-authors, Bob Lamoreaux and Ed Johnson. Bob has worked for decades compiling a lot of this information and the book would not have been possible without his efforts. Ed's personal insights into his Dad's work were also invaluable. The webmaster, Jim Pullen, also provided a lot of valuable information and data. This book was very much a group effort.

Thanks for the kind words! Without Bruce Canfield and Stuart Mowbray the book would never have been published. Ed, and his brother Mel, were instrumental in guiding the research, providing a tremendous amount of documents as well as insight. Jim Pullen has done more to thoroughly research Johnson firearms history and developments than anyother individual and his kindness and sharing cannot go unrecognized. Some folks may have been left out of the acknowledgments, and this was my oversight.

Unfortunately, many who contributed via interviews, are now gone. I think Ed and I will always remember -- with fondness and appreciation -- the late George M. Chinn, Col., USMC (Ret.). In many respects, it was Chinn and his volumes (The Machine Gun) responsible for me beginning my research. Who was this Johnson fellow? How did a Boston lawyer get involved in the military arms business? How good was the JSAR and JLMG? Who used them? How many were made?

It think that many of those questions were answered in "THE book". I think that I can speak for Bruce and Ed when I say that our hope is that our work is carried on and that more information on Johnson firearms is found. And, for myself, I'd sure like to know if the Johnson Recoilless Mortar still exists and where it is!

Thank you for the photo. Speaking for myself, I have not seen this before. And David, let me add my thanks also for your nice remarks above.  ej