Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Buzz

Johnson Automatic on Gunbroker

7 posts in this topic

Has anyone seen the Johnson on Gunbroker?

Auction # 92879915

Is this rifle real or bogus?

The ordanance marks look like the ones sold by Gunparts Corp!

Check it out.....

The rifle itself is good, minus the compensator, which is a Johnson product, but not original to the rifle.

The proof marks are BOGUS. One of the rifles I own actually has one, too. Some guy wanting to show USMC "provenance".

Looks like a nice rifle, though.

It went for $6M....pretty steep for a rifle with drilled and tapped receiver, extensively repaired butt stock, bbl butchered by the addition of a compensator and fake markings. I guess someone really wanted it!

I see that the compensator is one of the Post-1950 Johnson/Gartman Arms versions as well.

Note how the butt plate is poorly fitted also (oversized). Either the stock has been over sanded or it's a reproduction which has been aged. IMO.

Boy, is my face red. I am emphatically stating for the record that I didn't take a good look at it!

Missed all the demerits. The quick glance at the bogus marks was enough for me to move on without taking a hard look. :blink:

I saw this one on GB several days ago and, like Matt, I skipped over it when I saw the USMC on the stock. In looking at the pic's again today I see a couple of cartouches in pic's 5 & 11. Are these Dutch? They look like U.S. cartouches--almost identical to the one on my M-1 carbine.

The asumption on my part is that whoever put the USMC on one side of the stock and the alphabet on the other side also added the crossed canons.

Am I wrong?

B.T.

Tom,

No they are not Dutch-related in any way. the only Dutch-related marks are the triangle which contains the Cranston arms name. The triangle is a Dutch device as Vicker's machine guns were similarly marked with the Vicker's name within said device. the othet mark is the barrel proof mark of the dagger with IO on each side.

The marks you refer to in this rifle's case are all US Ordnance Dept marks , which we all know were not applied to any Johnson rifles. So a fanciful piece at best.