Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
metrotps

New to Board-New Johnson

9 posts in this topic

Hi to you all. I just picked up a Winfield this weekend #4942 from an estate sale. It was purchased in 1997 for $535. I got the original receipt with the rifle from his widow. It is in about 97% to 98% condition but has an Uncle Mikes recoil pad on the butt.

I have a few questions.

What was the original Winfield pad?

What sling, if any, was included with the Winfield or what would be correct?

Has anybody seen an original Winfield scope mount and scope for sale and what brand were they?

What are the numbers it should have?

I want post the pic's as soon as I can, so what size pic is acceptable on this forum?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome!

The original rubber butt pads were a brownish colour with the 'Winfield' name in script embossed in the rear face. Most, if not all, I have seen persish or degrade to a point to where they are unusable and should be replaced with an after market such as the one you have. I may have one knocking around somewhere and you are free to have it if i find it!!

The scope mounts were made by Redfield I believe and entail drilling and tapping the receiver top, thereby degrading the value of the rifle.

Parts numbers I'll get you in a short while after my dinner!!

Post your pics and see what happens. The board will accept them or thumbnail them to an acceptable size.

Thanks!

I really appreciate your help.

May I ask if there are any areas in the Johnson that should be lubed or checked out prior to firing?

I intend to shoot it and keep shooting for a long time. I waited 27 years to get this one and want to keep it nice.

Dean

Here's the details for you're rifle:

Details for JSAR 4942:

Delivered from Cranston Arms to Johnson Automatics Manufacturing Co. : 01/23/42

Stock Type: 2

Barrel # 6052E

Hammer Block # 4911

Hammer # 0109A

Bolt # 7900

Locking Cam # 5709

Firing Pin # 7360

Extractor # 4211

Magazine # A476

Delivered from Jamco to Johnson Automatics Inc 02/05/42

Contract : Netherlands Purchasing Commision

May I ask if there are any areas in the Johnson that should be lubed or checked out prior to firing?

Dean

I believe Joe Scott will be the best person to advise on this. He has put out information on this subject in the past.

Hi to you all. I just picked up a Winfield this weekend #4942 from an estate sale. It was purchased in 1997 for $535. I got the original receipt with the rifle from his widow. It is in about 97% to 98% condition but has an Uncle Mikes recoil pad on the butt.

I have a few questions.

What was the original Winfield pad?

What sling, if any, was included with the Winfield or what would be correct?

Has anybody seen an original Winfield scope mount and scope for sale and what brand were they?

What are the numbers it should have?

I want post the pic's as soon as I can, so what size pic is acceptable on this forum?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have some better pictures.

post-414-1207978194_thumb.jpg

post-414-1207978220_thumb.jpg

post-414-1207978234_thumb.jpg

post-414-1207978254_thumb.jpg

post-414-1207978268_thumb.jpg

A Johnson has a number of points to lubricate some of which requires some disassembly. starting at the back, remove buttplate and large screw (buffer) then remove main spring, clean and lube with oil, check buffer action for smoothness, clean and oil. reinstall spring and buffer, buttplate. Next remove bolt stop plate at rear of action, remove stop inside, disengage link from main spring, then holding link, remove operating handle by pulling up center knob, slide handle forward and out, lift out extractor. Then slide bolt assembly out rear of receiver, remove rear section to expose firing pin, clean and oil fp. Check that small clip/spring in center of fp does not slide out of position. Oil bolt rollers and where bolt halves slide together. Reassemble bolt into receiver and oil in track. Engage link in spring follower and oil the socket joint. Oil the ejector pivot on left side of receiver. On front end, remove barrel and lightly oil outside of rear/center collars. Oil the spring in the barrel latch assembly as it returns barrel to forward position. In the trigger group, oil the various pivot points and springs, also drop some oil down onto the trigger bar and around safety. Oil the rear crosspin when you reinstall it. If anything feels like it is rough or dirty, you may need to do a detail strip. For this, I have a video (1hr-36m) showing how to do all above and also inspection. I like to use the military lubricant called LSA in the green squeesh bottles, wipe off excess. If your gun throws the shell hard and dents it, check the main spring length, it should be 12". I have everything for restorations. Good luck and welcome to the forum.