Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cyrano

Shooting issues

10 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Well, went to the range and fired off some rounds, Winchester 30.06, lowest load I could find. Anyway the cocking handle seems to be slamming into the receiver and the brass is all bent up and leaving this "bite" mark on the rims of the brass, hard to see in the pics. Any ideas as to whats causing this? Is this normal? :blink:

Thanks,

Mike

IMG_2446.jpg

IMG_2448.jpg

IMG_2453.jpg

I took a M1941 rifle to the range that I had for the typical three day pre-purchase inspection. I noticed that it functioned with a great deal of violence, damaging the cases as your photos show and flinging them many feet to the right. After just a few rounds, the same rifle began to literally fall apart in my hands. It would not hit a standard pistol bull's eye at 25 yards. This was one sad rifle, and I sent it back to the seller. The next one was in virtually new original condition, and I have it to this day. There is all of the difference in the world between the two guns. The "new" '41 is very accurate and completely reliable. The action seems to function almost as an afterthought. The rifle fires, and then the action gently cycles, leaving a neat pile of undamaged brass just a few feet away. I bought a considerable amount of surplus Danish M2 ball when it was avialable and have used this exclusively.

Thanks tsm...so does this vary from gun to gun? Granted this particular rifle hasn't been shot in the last 19 years or so, I thought I gave it a pretty thorough cleaning prior to bringing it out onto the range. I've read similar stories from other forums where shooters experienced problematic guns.

Could this be another reason why it was passed up for the M1 Garand? I'd love to bring this out and shoot it again, but as far as safety for me as well as the gun (I'd hate to damage it further), am I better off shelving this piece and appreciating it for its rarity rather than as a shooter?

I'd love to hear what the experts have to say on this topic.

Mike

Most of the problems you seem to be having are probably due to the mainspring being weak. I believe Joe Scott will have the answer for you. He will get to you but he has had a lot of problems of late.

Thanks Jim,

I went to the Cross-Roads gun show today but no luck in finding the parts I needed. Anyways, hope to hear from some more of our members here...

Mike

I would contact Joe Scott via this site, and while he may be busy or whatever, wait his reply. Probably your best source for a good mainspring.

Violent ejection and dinged cases are a sign of weak main spring. Fairly common. Measure your main spring, should be full 12" long. If not, I have new ones for $20 plus $5 shipping.

Thanks Art, will do

Violent ejection and dinged cases are a sign of weak main spring. Fairly common. Measure your main spring, should be full 12" long. If not, I have new ones for $20 plus $5 shipping.

Thanks Scott, just checked, mines about 3/4 inch short... <_< so I'll be sending you a MO later today. Thanks again Scott and everyone!

I shoot all my Johnsons... 30-06 as well as the 7mm ones.... I prefer the 7mm just because its kind of different. They all shoot beautifully, my only problem is trying to explain to all the people who want to know.... what the heck is that!

Definately an attention getter, anywhere you go. Get the new mainspring and have at it.