Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CAA

1941 function and disassembly isues

2 posts in this topic

I am evaluating a rather nice 1941 for a friend of mine that has no interest in firearms whatsoever but was handed down this rifle. It is a B series gun in 30-06. Here are the issues.....

ONE... going by the field stripping directions on here ..the bolt handle wont come out of the bolt...I pull out on the skinny little spindle piece in the center but nothing seems to happen. What does that piece actually do??? I can see the backside of the same hole in the bolt handle that the spindle pin rides in and it doesnt seem to engage anything. Am I suposed to do anything with the spanner "disk" that is around the spindle???

TWO... when you manually opperate the bolt.. should it lock back in the open position??? i have put dummy rounds and also without them and when I pull the bolt rearward it never stays back. When I do pull it back it stops about 1/3 " shy of being totally rearward in the slot it moves in. Is this normal to not come 100 percent rearward?? It cycles dummy rounds in and out of the gun fine but just wont lock back

Any help would be appreciated :)

To remove the operating handle, pull up small knob and slide handle forward. The knob releases a plunger which goes through the extractor into bolt. Handle slides forward and leaves extractor laying on bolt. You may have to put something in front of the bolt to hold it in position as you slide handle forward. Some are hard. If so, block the bolt, pull up on small knob with needle nose pliers and tap handle forward with soft hammer. Easier to do with barrel removed, also helps to disengage main spring link from main spring. Many of the rifle are missing the bolt catch and will not hold open. However the gun is designed to work with or without catch. I have some factory originals left. If bolt is not retracting all the way, you may have the bolt stop in wrong at rear of receiver. I also have a 1hr-36m video on Johnson disassembly, inspection and reassembly.

I am evaluating a rather nice 1941 for a friend of mine that has no interest in firearms whatsoever but was handed down this rifle. It is a B series gun in 30-06. Here are the issues.....

ONE... going by the field stripping directions on here ..the bolt handle wont come out of the bolt...I pull out on the skinny little spindle piece in the center but nothing seems to happen. What does that piece actually do??? I can see the backside of the same hole in the bolt handle that the spindle pin rides in and it doesnt seem to engage anything. Am I suposed to do anything with the spanner "disk" that is around the spindle???

TWO... when you manually opperate the bolt.. should it lock back in the open position??? i have put dummy rounds and also without them and when I pull the bolt rearward it never stays back. When I do pull it back it stops about 1/3 " shy of being totally rearward in the slot it moves in. Is this normal to not come 100 percent rearward?? It cycles dummy rounds in and out of the gun fine but just wont lock back

Any help would be appreciated :)