ArtR

How times change....

9 posts in this topic

I recently received my new (29th Edition) Blue Book of Gun Values, and it got me to wondering, so I opened an old 1994 Blue Book and reviewed. In the 15th Editon, c.1994 60% JSARs were listed at $500 and 100% at $850. By the 17th Editon (c.1996), prices were$675 to $1850 for the same percentages. An interesting side note, in both editions, it says to "deduct 10% if ser. no.'s don't match." I am not sure what year that note was dropped, but it has been gone for awhile. Looking at the current reported values, we've come a long way baby!

Guys,

I remember back in the 1982 time frame that the Johnson rifles were selling from 275.00 to 325.00 according to gun books from that era. A Winfield sporter was selling for around 95.00 to 150.00 bucks. I found my first one back in 1985 in a hardware store in Groton CT. when they were selling for around 400.00 for a military configured rifle.

walt B)

In 1969 I was a sergeant in a local police department when we received an add from Century Arms for rifles available to us for "law enforcement use only." I immediately went to the chief and he signed for permission to buy on our letterhead. M-1 Garand was $85.00, M-1 carbine was $ 49.95 and the one I bought was a no prefix Johnson military .30-06 for $69.95. I still have it and what a deal even then. Cordially, Alasdair

Well, I guess you gents have a few years on me, but I bought my first in 2005 driving home from the National Matches at Camp Perry, Ohio.

I stopped in a Cabela's on the drive home and found one for just under $2k. A year later Cabela's was selling the another for $6k. I have toyed every year with the idea of shooting one in the John C. Garand match instead of an M1.

Little John's Antique Auction House just got in a Deluxe Winfield Sporter in near excellent condition. Serial # in the 7000 range. The last military configured one they had went for $4700 (to me) and the last sporter (3 years ago) $1700. This one is all blue, fancy cheekpiece walnut stocks, ramp front sight with no bayo lug and a rubber buttpad. Up until now I thought this was just another ruined M-1941, I know it can be restored, but in a way it's sort of cool just like it is. If we turn them all back into military rifles we will forget how bizzare a real Deluxe Winfield Sporter really is. I am tempted to buy it, clean it and leave it alone. What do you guys think?

Matt,

I may be wrong, but I believe you can or are allow use your JR if in military configuration to shoot in the Garand matchs. I believe a few years ago there were several gents who shot in one of those matches. I think they did pretty well.

walt B)

Walt is correct, JSARs are permitted in Garand Matches. Indeed, I used a JSAR in two of them.

Little John's Antique Auction House just got in a Deluxe Winfield Sporter in near excellent condition. Serial # in the 7000 range. The last military configured one they had went for $4700 (to me) and the last sporter (3 years ago) $1700. This one is all blue, fancy cheekpiece walnut stocks, ramp front sight with no bayo lug and a rubber buttpad. Up until now I thought this was just another ruined M-1941, I know it can be restored, but in a way it's sort of cool just like it is. If we turn them all back into military rifles we will forget how bizzare a real Deluxe Winfield Sporter really is. I am tempted to buy it, clean it and leave it alone. What do you guys think?

Hey KWK if you can swing it, go for it! I really love mine. I just got a new recoil spring and the DVD from Joseph Scott and I am going to shoot it this weekend, weather permitting here in the Pacific Northwest. I posted pictures of my Winfield Johnson on this board under New to Board- New Johnson and think it's a beauty!

I had always loved my uncles JSAR ever since he brought it home from a gun show in 1973, buying it for $120. In 1982, when I turned 21, he introduced me to a friend of his named Doc, who's well known in Johnson circles, and Doc built me one from unused parts for $500. I was the happiest 21 year old in town! A few years later my uncle sold me his Johnson, again for $500. I still own and occassionally shoot both of them to this day.

I'll never sell my Johnson's! They say that when you die, you can't take 'em with ya, but I'm sure going to try! :D