BRDow

Serial Number 0034

7 posts in this topic

Bruce,

Here's the details for you're rifle:

Details for JSAR 0034:

Delivered from Cranston Arms to Johnson Automatics Manufacturing Co. : No Date other than 1941

Stock Type: Not listed

Barrel # 0024a

Hammer Block # 0219

Hammer # 0486

Bolt # 113

Locking Cam # 0146

Firing Pin # 0257

Extractor # 578

Magazine # 0048

Delivered from Jamco to Johnson Automatics Inc 09/10/41

Contract : Govt. of Chile

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info. I checked the referenced parts and find only the bolt is original to the rifle. The other parts are all very low numbers, as though perhaps they had been switched with parts from one or more rifles in the same bactch. Maybe I shooud be content with that, but I am curious if a mechanism exists for trying to trade parts to restore it. I am puzzled that the barrel (#0009a) has a large Navy Arms, Ridgefield CT stamp on the bottom - much larger thatn the usual importer stamps. Any opinions?

BRDow

BRDow,

:excl:Be advised: While that barrel collar may be marked .30'06, as all were, the Chilean JSAR barrels were bored and chambered for 7mm in Mexico, prior to delivery to Chile. I don't know that the bolt would lock on a .30'06 round in a 7mm chamber, but it's something you should be aware of, if you aren't already. :excl:

I don't believe that being a 7mm will detract from the weapon's value, as most Chilean JSARs are in better condition than Dutch JSARs. If I had to surrender a JSAR for twenty years, and had the option, I'd prefer that it went to the Chilean Army, as opposed to a Dutch Marine/Aboriginal Colonial Army in the Dutch East Indies! I don't believe Melvin Johnson made them for collectors, though.

In fact, with the addition of a .30'06 barrel, which is completely and quickly interchangable, you stand the chance of seriously enhancing the value of the piece. All other parts on the JSAR are common. (Ensure bolt & barrels headspace properly before heading to the range!)

As far as not having the original parts in the rifle, as delivered to the customer in 1941, don't give it another thought. Based on my understanding, after reading the original JSAR Site & message board since 1997, and this one since inception, you can probably count the number of JSARs with original parts on one hand. Those few were likely in the hands of JA/Cranston Arms company officers and family members or relegated to museums, national armories, and such. Of course, logs only exist for most non-prefix rifles. We may never know about the rest.

I bought two Dutch JSARs in 1997, motivated in part, by Mr. Pullen's website, and those who've frequently imparted their friendly and thorough knowledge over the years. (You gents know who you are!) Certainly "more bang for the buck" than I could ever wish for from Wall Street.

For the record, you can list this message as testament to the genius of Melvin Johnson's legacy to modern small arms, Mr. Pullen's efforts toward keeping that legacy alive, and the outstanding community those efforts have brought together right here. I'm proud to be a very small part of it.

Semper Fidelis,

Rick S.

post-12-1220365242_thumb.jpgHere is the original Navy Arms Ad in Shotgun News from Nov 1979

I checked the Production Log and found that barrel 0009a was fitted to rifle number 0011, which is interesting in itself. Rifle 0011 was the first rifle for Chile with full details listed.