Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Scott

Gas Trap Garand/ 1941 Johnson shootout

1 post in this topic

Saturday, I attended a gathering of about 30-40 persons at a private 200 yd range where we shot four early original gas trap Garands against seven 1941's. I brought 5 and 2 more came. We shot at 200 yd military targets to compare accuracy of the two different rifles. Most of us were 50 years and older, so eye sight was not great but we all hit the targets. Conclusion= no difference in performance.

I had the USMC rifle and there was one marine who shot it with awe. Each rifle shot over 100 rds with 4-5 different shooters, some of whom had never even seen a Johnson. All performed without a flaw. There was also a live legal BAR which everyone seemed to dislike shooting. Also one of the new SAW .223 LMG's. Everyone liked shooting it. Probably burned about 600-800 rds each caliber and then had a Texas barbque lunch.

Because I handle lots of Johnson's, I was more impressed to see four original gas trap M1's together on a range. One of the other Johnson's did not have lock washers under the screws retaining stock to trigger group and the screws backed off. Be sure you have the internal star lock washers under the screw under the safety and under the bulge.