Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LoboMike

Counterfeit parts for M1941

7 posts in this topic

I am told there is a source for counterfeit Johnson M1941 parts, possibly in CA. Anyone know anything about this?

TIA Mike

I don't know about "counterfit" but there have been a variety of replacement parts available. John Darling in Southern California was one of the main sources of JSAR restoration parts for many years. He had "drop in" replacement stocks and a mixture of original and newly manufactured parts. I know he had mainspring tube, cap, spring, follower and buffer assemblies whch were indistinguishable from originals. He also had replacement operating handles. Joseph Scott of Texas took over from John Darling with the stocks and other parts. He also offers new replacement bbls and type 2 rear sights. Both gentlemen are absoluety reputable and would never try to pass off a newly manufactured replacement as original. Indeed, both were original members of the JSAR website team.

Thanx Brian! I know about Joe and the history. Some one mention to me "counterfeit" so I thought I'd ask.

Thanx again, Mike

The person that asked me about the Johnson M1941 parts thinks the "maker's" moniker is "Doc Hollywood".

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

TIA

The "Doc" referred to is not "Hollywood" but Ross. He had the remainder of the Winfield operation after they went out of business and operated Old Benicia Arsenal. He had large stocks of original Johnson parts and left over Winfield replacements in various states of repair and condition. He was responsible for the "Crest" carbines and LMG-look-a likes. He recently sold most if not all of his Johnson stock to an individual who lists JSAR parts on Gunbroker. He is a very interesting man and a fund of information...and misinformation...about the surplus arms trade in the 50's, 60's and 70's. He lives in Northern California.

I have come across some parts, particularly front collars which are fitted to Winfield sporter rifles that appear to be investment cast. I have only seen one or two and generally look good. I guess these were made for Winfield due to shortage of parts or due to a different profile to the exterior of the replacement barrel.