Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rodd Flower

Ser#5623

11 posts in this topic

Rifle number 5623: Receiver from Cranston Arms to JAMCO - 1/27/42; completed rifle transfered to NPC 1/29/42. Number 2 stock. Barrel 5538E; hammer block 4606; hammer 7147; bolt 5213; locking cam 3592; firing pin 5654; extractor 3186; magazine 5716.

Please let us know how these match up with the numbers on the parts in your rifle. Because the piece was probably a left-over from the KNIL in Australia, we can guess that it wasn't disassembled and reassembled by an importer (such as is the case with most US JSARs). If the numbers don't match up, we can probably conclude that the KNIL stripped the rifles and threw all the parts in one "pot" for cleaning, giving no regard to which part went into which rifle. This, of course, was MMJ, Jr.'s intent!

I wasn't able to enlarge the photos, but it looks like a very nice firearm.

BTW, the stock's number can be found on the flat at the bottom of the buttstock, near the big screw just to the rear of the magazine. Some of these numbers are very faint and/or grime clogged and might be difficult to see.

Bob

This is an afterthought that I thought you, being from "down-under", as well as other members of this bulletin board, might be interested in: In July 1942, five freighters carrying war materiel to Java were diverted to Australia. While some materiel was unloaded "at some other port before arriving in Australia", here is the distribution of items upon arrival in Australia:

To the Dutch: 10- 37-mm antitank guns

1,000 - M1928A1 Thompson submachine guns

600 - M1917 "Enfield" rifles

370 - Johnson rifles

To the U.S. Army: 595 - M1928A1 Thompson submachine guns

700 - "Ivor" Johnson revolvers cal. .38

18,980 - M1917 "Enfield" rifles

5 - Johnson rifles

To the Australian Army: 8 Hotchkiss machine guns cal. 7.62 mm (Russian)

50 - M3 light tanks

54 - Marmon Herrington tanks

I did not include heavy artillery nor direction finders and searchlights that are included on the list.

These were items purchased by the Netherlands Purchasing Commission for use in the Netherlands East Indies.

I wonder about the 5 JSARs acquired by the U.S. Army!!!

Bob

Rodd

Looks like an all original configuration rifle, with character/battle scars. Noticed the buttstock does not have "cheek" pieces. Only major issue is the crack in the buttstock. While not pristine, a very nice piece just the same. Will be interested to know how you make out on the SN matchup. Can just about read barrel SN, looks like "5664E" or "5654E".

Big plus is the fine positioning of "the book" (Johnson Rifles and Machine Guns) in a couple of the pictures. You will find that it is great reading if you have not already gone from cover to cover.

Bob

Thanks for all the info

Have gone over mine and found the only parts that dont match your info are the Barrel (5654E) and Magazine (5986)

Dont know if this is a good thing or bad you guys would have a better idea

For my info what would it be worth in the US (Ican asure you it is not for sale ) just wondering

Art

Yes the book is fantastic I am about half way through have had it for over 12 months but every time I picked it up I would get excited about Johnson's and would have to put it away but now I have one you cant get it out of my hands

Thanks All for the Help

If there is anything you guys are looking for I might be able to help you with over here just let me know and I will see what I can do

Regards Rodd

Note the color of the magazine. It is blued finish. I have thought for a long time that the blued ones were original as are the parkerized ones. I believe prior statements that blued magazines were postwar reworks, by importers, were not correct.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0