Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bnel25

Johnson Parts

3 posts in this topic

A couple years ago i purchased JSAR reciever at a garage sale for $5. The SN was 00045 (is there any way you can tell me where it was shipped to or anything about it?) the fellow i bought it from said his dad was in Asiatic-Pacific theater. That was the only part that he had. I've been looking now for a couple years to locate all the necassary parts to complete the gun the only parts i have are all the wood and magazine. Any help to find or trade for the parts is grealy appreciated. Also is a 7mm barrel correct for the johnson or would i not want to buy it?

Thanks,

Ben

A couple years ago i purchased JSAR reciever at a garage sale for $5. The SN was 00045 (is there any way you can tell me where it was shipped to or anything about it?) the fellow i bought it from said his dad was in Asiatic-Pacific theater. That was the only part that he had. I've been looking now for a couple years to locate all the necassary parts to complete the gun the only parts i have are all the wood and magazine. Any help to find or trade for the parts is grealy appreciated. Also is a 7mm barrel correct for the johnson or would i not want to buy it?

Thanks,

Ben

That's a GREAT question. I just purchased a JSAR receiver and barrel the other day (still haven't received it). I'd love to be able to find a Semi parts kit to be able to complete it as well. I know Numrich has "some" parts and from reading some of these post Joseph Scott used to have and may still sell some parts. Watching, it appears that the price of Johnson's are falling so parts may also be getting a bit cheaper over the short term (at least I'm hoping so). Other sources of parts would be the auction sites (e.g. gunbroker, auctionarms, gunsamerica etc.). You could also try posting and keeping tabs on some of the C&R and milsurp boards out there. I'm really hoping to find a kit since I don't want to have to purchase these parts individually.

I also noticed a reference on the boards to some issues with early SN Johnsons? What were the issues? What was the point or cutoff of any changes?

Ben,

Most of the 1st 100 JSARs were not listed in the log but almost all of those which were, went to the Government of Chile. As such, a 7mm bbl would be appropriate. The easiest way to get a parts set is find a JSAR for sale with a butchered receiver....drilled and tapped, polished to death, etc. These generally sell pretty cheap for a JSAR....in the $1200-1800 range. Whereas some parts (sear block assembly, trigger and safety assembly, locking cam assembly, front signt, bayonet leg, etc) are easy to get, others (bolt stop, bolt, ejector assembly) are very hard to get.