Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WarrenC

1941 Johnson Firing Pin

8 posts in this topic

Hi

I recently bought a 1941 Johnson. Upon dissassembly, I noticed that it looks like something is missing from the firing pin assembly. The washer that the retrun spring pushes against slides on the firing pin (i.e. the spring does nothing). There are some notches in the firing pin that I assume are for some sort of clip or retainer. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Warren

post-636-1253753814_thumb.jpg

The little washer at the base of the spring in the photo is supposed to crimp into the notches below. Joseph Scott will tell you how to "crimp" it

WARREN-

You appear to still have all the components of the firing pin. You have the firing pin, spring & washer. The problem is, that the washer has slipped out of the grooves on the FP, where it is supposed to rest. Also when you start to re-assembly it, remember to pass the end of the spring, through the small hole in the washer & slightly bend the end of the wire to hold it in the hole. I have a firing pin that had the same problem. It was easier for me to correct, because I have a handful of extra firing pins & I substituded with another one. I set this one aside, meaning to attempt to fix it, some rainey day. What I was going to do, was to take a small tack type hammer, & lightly tap around the washer, after positioning it correctly, over the grooves. I cannot tell you that this will work, because I did not do it yet, to my damaged FP. It may take some light filing or stoning of the washer, if it has some burrs on it, after this treatment. I know some of the other experts, may have a better solution to correct this wandering washer, so it would be best to wait for their thoughts. I always meant to ask Joseph @ the Tulsa show, but have forgotten. ;)

The washer on the fp was made with three small outward dimples which were then peened into the notches on the fp. I have seen one which was never peened. You can lightly strike the disk with a small chisel over the notches and push metal into place. A loose disk can sometimes cause slam firing.