Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cdj7097

Johnson muzzle break

6 posts in this topic

Well, I got it. I'm not sure why I needed it, other than being interesting to have. And I do think it is an interesting piece of Johnson history.

And if some slightly more practical justification is needed, the $36 I'll have in it (including shipping) is a lot less than other muzzle brakes I see around.

Well, I got it. I'm not sure why I needed it, other than being interesting to have. And I do think it is an interesting piece of Johnson history.

And if some slightly more practical justification is needed, the $36 I'll have in it (including shipping) is a lot less than other muzzle brakes I see around.

During the mid-sixties, after my father died, when we were manufacturing the small quantities of 5.7mm Spitfires at Johnson Automatics Associates in Hope Valley, RI, we debated building and selling some Mauser bolt action sporting rifles in 30:06. We made up 3 models, one of which included a muzzle break device similar to the one which you bought.

We eventually gave up the idea owing to relatively poor sales of the 5.7mm Spitfires themselves and the fact that there were so many quality bolt action rifles available.

As I recall, the muzzle break helped reduce recoil by a noticeable amount. It also increased noise level to the shooter.

Ed Johnson

I was thinking about it for a civilian model i'm working on. When it got over $20 it got out of my currant price range. I think its a neat piece of history to have anyway. I haven't seen alot of them around, and your right the price isn't bad. GOOD CATCH

Yeah, I figured what the heck.

It arrived today, and looks great, like new. I'm no fluid dynamics engineer type, but I can see that it should work pretty well.

Not that I plan on installing it....well...OK, if I ever run across another sporterized Springfield that needs some TLC, I can see that it would beg to go on it.

BTW- Is there any chance anyone knows the threads?

I couldn't help but think about how similar it looked to the comp on my Reising SMG. That got me thinking about the tendancy of Reising comps to have pieces depart when firing (the "bars" left over after cutting the slots can "blow off"). The steel looks thicker (and better) on this one, so that may not be a problem.

It may be an optical illusion, but the slots on the Johnson Brake look a little more complicated than just simple straight cut slots with rounded ends. They appear to have a curve to them. If I can explain it: They look like the ends of the slots are closer to the muzzle end than the centers of the slot. If it really is, then it's only slightly.

But it's hard to tell by looking.

There is a top and a bottom to it. The slots are not located 180 degrees apart. That is, their ends are closer together at the top than at the bottom. Nice thought there, that should give more up-pressure, more lower surface for the gas to work against, and less gas blowing into the dirt and making a dirt cloud.