Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
luckyrat

need information

8 posts in this topic

hello groupe,i just got a model 41 and i would like some info.on it if possable.it has a 5 shot clip the number on the recever is A0095,has a star on rigth side above the cranston arms logo,the bolt has A2258 stamped on it.all that i have seen is the rotory type guns.i do have a problem the firing pin just taps the primer but not anough to make it fire.is this gun worth anything like the other model 41.

There were Johnsons made (only 5 or 6) with vertical magazines (clips) but not by the Cranston Arms factory. It sounds like you have an "A" prefix originally made as a rotary mag. which has been modified to a box magazine by some enterprising gunsmith. Below are pics of a non-factory one I had in the past. The star above the Cranston Arms logo is reportedly a Dutch acceptance stamp which is also found on many bbls. The number on the bolt is not supposed to match the serial #.

2147348.jpgj79apz.jpg

This rifle does not seem to have the slight bulge that your does where the rotary mag used to be. Mine appears to be stock. Check out the pics and let me know what you think.

There were Johnsons made (only 5 or 6) with vertical magazines (clips) but not by the Cranston Arms factory. It sounds like you have an "A" prefix originally made as a rotary mag. which has been modified to a box magazine by some enterprising gunsmith. Below are pics of a non-factory one I had in the past. The star above the Cranston Arms logo is reportedly a Dutch acceptance stamp which is also found on many bbls. The number on the bolt is not supposed to match the serial #.

2147348.jpgj79apz.jpg

post-647-1256283843_thumb.jpg

post-647-1256283874_thumb.jpg

post-647-1256283911_thumb.jpg

post-647-1256283930_thumb.jpg

It is obviously an aftermarket assembly by the look of the magazine and well. Mine had a slight bulge because the person who put it together left on the rotary magazine retaining lugs as well as the clip feed lips on the right side. As a note of caution, I recommend having the rifle checked out by a competent JSAR smith (like Joseph Scott). When he checked out the bbl from mine , he found that that the rear collar and chamber had been grafted to a new bbl and was quite unsafe.

I think having one of those would make a interesting addition to a good collection. I wouldn't mind owning it but i'm in no position to make an offer. Brian after Joseph checked out yours did you ever fire it? Were there any feed problems? I always like to know about the different and unusual.

Mine was rather primitive but the receiver was unaltered and with original finish and I got it for a song. I never shot it in the vertical magazine configuration. My plan was to restore it. The bbl looked suspect so I sent it to Joseph Scott to "remilitarize". He discovered it was a dangerous assembly. At that point, I put on a correct rotary magazine, new stock and bbl, restoring it to proper military configuration. I sold it not long after. I still have the bbl which Joseph "halved" at the chamber to show the "splice".

just got barrel and gun back from local gun smith,had him ck it over very close he said that it all looks very good and factory,reassembled gun took out and test fired it works great,i think i got a good paid $450.00 for gun.tryed emailing mr scott not sure if he got it i have not head back from him.is there anyone that might have info on the ser.number on this gun its A0095,thanks

Unfortunately we do not have the logs for the "A" or "B" prefix rifles so no information is available as to the original component numbers.