Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smitty19412

Help

13 posts in this topic

Just acquired this johnson S/N B7746 and cannot get the bolt or action to stay open just keeps closing no matter what or how hard i pull it back. Do i need a part or is it an adjustment thanks jim

Dismount the stock and see it the bolt catch is still in place. This looks like a long frame shaped part that fits around the hammer and extends to the front of the trigger frame. There should be a V shaped piece on top of this that impinges the underside of the bolt.

See the dismantling instructions on the main site to see how to remove the butt and the part will be easier to ID

Dismount the stock and see it the bolt catch is still in place. This looks like a long frame shaped part that fits around the hammer and extends to the front of the trigger frame. There should be a V shaped piece on top of this that impinges the underside of the bolt.

See the dismantling instructions on the main site to see how to remove the butt and the part will be easier to ID

First step on site of dismantling is lock the bolt which i cannot do is this ok?? thanks jim

Yes, as you have to release the bolt later anyway. It is locked back initially to facilitate the removal of the barrel. You can work around having no catch.

Yes, as you have to release the bolt later anyway. It is locked back initially to facilitate the removal of the barrel. You can work around having no catch.

Ok great will, do thanks for your help jim

The pin appears to be in there, as you can see the spoon shaped spring retainer head. They can be difficult to remove. You have toe get in and push in against the spring action of the head and move it counter clockwise. Make sure the hammer is cocked also.

The pin appears to be in there, as you can see the spoon shaped spring retainer head. They can be difficult to remove. You have toe get in and push in against the spring action of the head and move it counter clockwise. Make sure the hammer is cocked also.

looks like the spring will break off the pin before i can remove it it is turning on the pin, the pin is not moving with it guess i'm dead in the water now jim

Smitty, you can drop the stock by removing the large headed screw in the recess behind the magazine and also the one under the safety. This will leave the trigger group still attached to the receiver and expose the pin from the other side. Rotate the finger to the opening and push the pin out with a flat end punch. Remove the receiver rear piece (bolt stop plate) by pushing in the small button and sliding plate up and out. Inside there is a loose piece(bolt stop), With your small finger, remove it. Then trigger group will slide off the receiver if hammer is cocked down. Sometimes the pin is hard to remove because the mag door pin end is not turned to fit in the recess in the stock. This forces the wood backwards and puts a strain on the pin. If you have a bolt catch installed, sometimes you need to push in on the magazine door which releases the strain on the bolt catch which rides on the pin. If you need more information, I have a DVD for $30 ppd to you.

Many rifles are missing the bolt catches, they work well either with or without them. I have a supply of originals.

SMITTY Go with Joe It's the Best Way To go I learned the hard way before i found this site. Joe has provided me with alot of info or validation for what i learned.

Smitty, you can drop the stock by removing the large headed screw in the recess behind the magazine and also the one under the safety. This will leave the trigger group still attached to the receiver and expose the pin from the other side. Rotate the finger to the opening and push the pin out with a flat end punch. Remove the receiver rear piece (bolt stop plate) by pushing in the small button and sliding plate up and out. Inside there is a loose piece(bolt stop), With your small finger, remove it. Then trigger group will slide off the receiver if hammer is cocked down. Sometimes the pin is hard to remove because the mag door pin end is not turned to fit in the recess in the stock. This forces the wood backwards and puts a strain on the pin. If you have a bolt catch installed, sometimes you need to push in on the magazine door which releases the strain on the bolt catch which rides on the pin. If you need more information, I have a DVD for $30 ppd to you.

Many rifles are missing the bolt catches, they work well either with or without them. I have a supply of originals.

Thank you very much for the quick response tell me how to get in touch for the DVD and also a bolt catch just to make it complete thanks again jim

SMITTY Go with Joe It's the Best Way To go I learned the hard way before i found this site. Joe has provided me with alot of info or validation for what i learned.

Your very correct with that recomendation thanks jim