Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
USMCE4retired

WTK: Fair market price for a civilian Winfield barrel for the Johnson 41?

9 posts in this topic

A friend of mine asked me to find out a fair market price for a civilian Winfield barrel made for the Johnson 41.

The barrel is perfect and my buddy no longer has the rifle. Buyer didn't want the Winfield barrel. To each his own, I guess.

If anyone has an idea please let me know.

Thanks.

John.

John,

What it is worth depends on what kind of Winfield bbl you are talking about. I have seen several different Winfield replacement bbls. A high polish blued bbl with chromed guides and commercial ramp front sight usually is seen for $350...at least that is the asking price. These were used on Winfield Deluxe Sporters and Deluxe Scoped Sporters. A (standard) Sporter bbl, Parkerized, made from a Garand bbl with correct Johnson front sight but no bayonet lug goes for around $425. These are the most common and are about 1 inch shorter than original bbls. A polished and blued, proper configuration (sight and lug) military bbl. is in the $500 range. These were used on the Winfield Deluxe Military. Once in a while you will see a Deluxe bbl. with commercial ramp made from an original JSAR bbl with proper proofs and markings and the grooves for the bayonet lug pins. These are $500 and up. 270 WCF bbls generally go for less. It is assumed that all the bores are in good shape. Hope this helps.

John,

What it is worth depends on what kind of Winfield bbl you are talking about. I have seen several different Winfield replacement bbls. A high polish blued bbl with chromed guides and commercial ramp front sight usually is seen for $350...at least that is the asking price. These were used on Winfield Deluxe Sporters and Deluxe Scoped Sporters. A (standard) Sporter bbl, Parkerized, made from a Garand bbl with correct Johnson front sight but no bayonet lug goes for around $425. These are the most common and are about 1 inch shorter than original bbls. A polished and blued, proper configuration (sight and lug) military bbl. is in the $500 range. These were used on the Winfield Deluxe Military. Once in a while you will see a Deluxe bbl. with commercial ramp made from an original JSAR bbl with proper proofs and markings and the grooves for the bayonet lug pins. These are $500 and up. 270 WCF bbls generally go for less. It is assumed that all the bores are in good shape. Hope this helps.

Brian:

What would you peg the price for an original 7mm barrel with good bore? Would you know a source at this point in time?

Regards,

John D. :rolleyes:

Thanks,fellas.

I appreciate your help.

I am unsure exactly what my buddy has.

He tried to get the barrel to me so I could post pics, but got tied up with a new home potential buy.

As soon as he delivers I will get as much info as I can and pics.

He will probably have me sell it on this forum if any one is interested.

That is, if loboMike doesn't want it. He has first dibs if it is what he needs.

Thanks again for the responses.

Oh, by the way, the fella on the militaryfirearms forum that poinetd me to this site posted a youtube video of some folks shooting the Johnson 41 in full auto. My GOD what a beast that is. That kind of fire power is nothing to sneeze at.

Sent chills through me to hear that. If you know what I mean.

John

John,

Although the original 7mm bbls are more rare than the 30-06, they generally are not deemed as desirable and do not bring as much. With that being said, an original 30-06 bbl with good bore goes for in excess of $600 (which Joseph Scott gets for a new military configuration bbl), often approaching a thousand or more. The fact of the matter is you just do not see them for sale that often and when you do, they are grabbed up.

About 7 years ago, I purchased an excellent to mint 7mm LMG bbl for $350. I changed the LMG front sight for a JSAR front sight and bayonet lug so I ended up having around $450 in it and thought I did well.

John,

Although the original 7mm bbls are more rare than the 30-06, they generally are not deemed as desirable and do not bring as much. With that being said, an original 30-06 bbl with good bore goes for in excess of $600 (which Joseph Scott gets for a new military configuration bbl), often approaching a thousand or more. The fact of the matter is you just do not see them for sale that often and when you do, they are grabbed up.

About 7 years ago, I purchased an excellent to mint 7mm LMG bbl for $350. I changed the LMG front sight for a JSAR front sight and bayonet lug so I ended up having around $450 in it and thought I did well.

Many thanks Brian for your input. This stuff is like waterfront property - they ain't making any more (unless global warming changes that premise!). Guess my two mint receivers will hibernate until a tapped 7mm JSAR surfaces and I am flush with the cash to acquire. The latter may occur after global warming ends!

Best regards,

John D.

This is my third attempt at trying to get pics up.

Too many pics the second time, plus I'm new to the site, and my computer fu sucks.

The kids won't even help any more. Discusted, they are.

Anyway, here goes with a few.

picture411x.jpg

By usmce4retired at 2009-12-06

picture412.jpg

picture415i.jpg

CMP bore gauge reads below zero, if that is possible.

Smith & Wesson logo stamped on the sight ramp.

picture47.jpg

Feed ramp untouched.

picture41e.jpg

.30-06

picture43g.jpg

I'm afraid to try to post any more pics for fear of the post being rejected again.

I hope this will enable someone to give a better estimate as to a fair price for the buyer and seller of this barrel.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Looks like a Deluxe Sporter bbl. They are fairly commonly seen with an asking price of $350. That said, no one seems interested. I had one like it on my table at the big NGD Show in Louisville for 2 years with no interest whatever. It would be right for one who had a 270 Sporter and wanted an extra 30-06 bbl.

Looks like a Deluxe Sporter bbl. They are fairly commonly seen with an asking price of $350. That said, no one seems interested. I had one like it on my table at the big NGD Show in Louisville for 2 years with no interest whatever. It would be right for one who had a 270 Sporter and wanted an extra 30-06 bbl.

Thank you, Brian. Your help is very much appreciated.

I'll let my friend know.