Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Scott

Buying a Johnson

6 posts in this topic

When buying a 1941 Johnson, if the seller won't let you examine it or won't remove the safety tie, proceed with the assumption that it has problems. The example I ran into, comes from Virginia. Seller would not let buyer examine gun and was adament about price. As it had a scope on top, buyer wanted to look at where the screws had entered the top. Seller said "no way". After a few weeks, the seller called buyer and offered a 50% price reduction. Rifle was bought and sent for inspection. I found it had no rear sight/elevator but that the screw holes were suitable for plugging. The firing pin spring collar was loose(can cause doubling), a trigger pin was out of position(same problem) and the front of the perforated hand guard was deformed and would not accept a barrel. It had been buffed lightly but is suitable for restoration.

Another interesting item is that the new owner found a nicely made non-original stock which had been stamped USMC under the grip and had a Marine world and eagle emblem stamped into the left rear of stock as well as a circled P behind trigger. A neatly done fake. He found it at a Virginia show.

Joeseph You are so right , i have run into this before with both Mausers and Lugers. I got ahold of a Mauser one time , barrel looked like a sewer pipe . There was 0 accuracy. Lugers tend to be the most screwed with pistol out there, if they won't let you look there is probably something wrong. RYCHE

When buying a 1941 Johnson, if the seller won't let you examine it or won't remove the safety tie, proceed with the assumption that it has problems. The example I ran into, comes from Virginia. Seller would not let buyer examine gun and was adament about price. As it had a scope on top, buyer wanted to look at where the screws had entered the top. Seller said "no way". After a few weeks, the seller called buyer and offered a 50% price reduction. Rifle was bought and sent for inspection. I found it had no rear sight/elevator but that the screw holes were suitable for plugging. The firing pin spring collar was loose(can cause doubling), a trigger pin was out of position(same problem) and the front of the perforated hand guard was deformed and would not accept a barrel. It had been buffed lightly but is suitable for restoration.

Another interesting item is that the new owner found a nicely made non-original stock which had been stamped USMC under the grip and had a Marine world and eagle emblem stamped into the left rear of stock as well as a circled P behind trigger. A neatly done fake. He found it at a Virginia show.

I here your the man to ask. I have a johnson which was handed down to me ,but we are having problems with it

it seems to have a damaged mainspring tube, I straightend the end and was woundering what the overall length is . and I need a mainspring,mine is 11 1/2" the dampner is also damaged the spring does'nt slide on it. it catches and does'nt allow the bolt to lock.do you have a complete unit or know where to get one ?or do you have amainspring,and dampner? thanks

If they won't let you examine any weapon, especially something as expensive as a Johnson, "Run, don't walk away" :blink: