Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BRMCII

'41 LMG serial seeking production info

8 posts in this topic

Would appreciate input on how to post to the archives "serial numberts" section so I can find out what the part numbers are for '41 LMG #1176.

Bob Naess

Black River Militaria CII

Unfortunately, there are no production logs for the Johnson light machine guns. Or at least none that have been found. Some fragmentary Form 2 (Treasury Department manufacturer's registration forms) survive.

>Unfortunately, there are no production logs for the Johnson light machine guns. Or at least none that have been found. Some fragmentary Form 2 (Treasury Department manufacturer's registration forms) survive.<

Ah.....thought that might be the case, but didn't know for sure. Too bad! Where can I see copies of the fragmentary form 2s? These would be interesting to see as they woould have lists of series of LMGs manufactured and would be by serial numbers.

Thanks for the response.

Bob Naess

they woould have lists of series of LMGs manufactured and would be by serial numbers.

Thanks for the response.

Bob Naess

Hi, again, Bob. Guess what! I haven't scanned the Form 2s -- guess I should, so they are "all over the place" chronologically. I think I might have a chronological list of the s/ns though. Here is the interesting thing: even as last as 1944 or '45 (can't remember last date available), the JLMGs were registered (except for one or two prototypes, if my memory serves me -- and it frequently does not) as M1941s. I am not sure if this indicates that Johnson Automatics considered the M1944s as simply a M1941 variation or if the M1944 Form 2s are missing. Because the Form 2 is a tax document, they are unavailable under the Freedom of Information Act, but I suspect that all of the JLMGs were reported as M1941s, excepting the later prototypes.

Bob Lamoreaux

Thanks for the response, Bob, I appreciate it. I will do an FOIA on the '41 LMG that I own and see what was the date of the original registration. If it was the factory that registered it, it would be on a form 2 and dated sometime during the period of manufacture. It'll be interesting to see what is the registration history on it.

Bob naess

Guess what! I haven't scanned the Form 2s -- guess I should, so they are "all over the place" chronologically. I think I might have a chronological list of the s/ns though. Here is the interesting thing: even as last as 1944 or '45 (can't remember last date available), the JLMGs were registered (except for one or two prototypes, if my memory serves me -- and it frequently does not) as M1941s. I am not sure if this indicates that Johnson Automatics considered the M1944s as simply a M1941 variation or if the M1944 Form 2s are missing. Because the Form 2 is a tax document, they are unavailable under the Freedom of Information Act, but I suspect that all of the JLMGs were reported as M1941s, excepting the later prototypes.

Bob Lamoreaux

Bob,

Hope you get good results with your FOIA request.

Either way, please do let us know what the response is.

Thanks,

Gary

>Hi, again, Bob. Guess what! I haven't scanned the Form 2s -- guess I should, so they are "all over the place" chronologically. I think I might have a chronological list of the s/ns though. Here is the interesting thing: even as last as 1944 or '45 (can't remember last date available), the JLMGs were registered (except for one or two prototypes, if my memory serves me -- and it frequently does not) as M1941s. I am not sure if this indicates that Johnson Automatics considered the M1944s as simply a M1941 variation or if the M1944 Form 2s are missing. Because the Form 2 is a tax document, they are unavailable under the Freedom of Information Act, but I suspect that all of the JLMGs were reported as M1941s, excepting the later prototypes.<

I know of two registered, transferable 1944 LMGs, and know the owner of one of them. I'll see if I can find out if they were registered as '41s.

Bob Naess