Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M48TANKER

Need Help finding a 1941 Johnson for my wife!

3 posts in this topic

I would like opinions on this Johnson that is for auction on GB.Auction # 157272092

I realize that you won't know a lot more about it than is advertised, but any help would be appreciated. I don't want to buy a "bad gun". I want a "cream of the crop" rifle at a "bottom of the barrel price" ...who doesn't?

Thanks for any help you can give me. TANKER

That particular JSAR http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=157272092 has been listed several times, never making the reserve. The metal looks nice. The stock is well dinged up. I would have to examine it up close to see if it was original. The bbl is a replacement without bayonet lug or the pin grooves indicating that one had ever been installed. Note the pin groove on the underside in front of the front collar. Thatindicates to me that the bbl was made from a Garand bbl, commonly done by Winfield. I don't know what the seller thinks it is worth but to me, with that replacement bbl, it is a $32-3500 JSAR.

Thank you for the observations. I did notice the missing bayonet lug and the pin cut in the barrel farther back...but I didn't know what that rear pin slot meant. All information is appreciated since I hope to make an informed decision.