Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1 Patriot-of-many

Is it worth it to remilitarize a sporterized?

5 posts in this topic

Have a 1941 Johnson rifle that's been sporterized, am thinking of selling it but wondering if it would be worth it to remilitarize before selling.

It's got checkered stock with buttpad, a compass...NOT KIDDING some fudd? put a small compass in the comb of the stock, foregrip is checkered, ears are cut off the front sight, barrel is blued.

Does anyone still sell the stuff to remilitarize assuming it'd be worth doing?

Thanks guys.

This is a difficult question to answer without seeing the rifle and/or a good set of pix. Is it worth it?

How much has to be done and can you do it? Bottom line is how much will it cost to "re-militarize" the rifle vs how much it will increase the value.

Using Joe's estimate assume it's a $2,500 rifle that will possibly sell for $5,000. Can the work be done for less than $2,500?

What needs replacing? Stock, barrel, sights, any grinding of the receiver, parking, etc. Whats your ability and time worth?

What will it cost to have the work done?

I'd suggest you make a list of all that needs to be done and decide from there.

So IMHO without significantly more info any estimate is a "WAG"!

Hope this helps

If it does not need a new barrel tube, a restoration of sights, lug, new wood, reparking, misc metal, costs average around $900-1200. Does not include re-engraving lettering which I can't do(yet). Restored value varies with area.

If it does not need a new barrel tube, a restoration of sights, lug, new wood, reparking, misc metal, costs average around $900-1200. Does not include re-engraving lettering which I can't do(yet). Restored value varies with area.

Sorry for the delay Joseph, I've built a 1919A4/A6 and numerous Ak47's and 74's, so I'm not a stranger to working on firearms.

I would need new wood, new front sight, new bayo lug,park on the barrel everything else is pretty minty.

I'll contact you soon. I bought this sporter for $1500 about 4? 5? years ago

Thanks for the reply too Mike!

I gotta dig this out of my safe and post the serial yet too, see how much is original.

Tried attaching a pic, didn't work for some reason.