Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Scott

7mm accuracy and used barrels

1 post in this topic

I just shot a 7mm Navy Arms import gun and it shoots a very tight group, actually the best I remember firing. On the subject of barrels, that one had a deep circular scratch (about .001" deep)in the chamber next to the shoulder. When the barrel got hot, the cases would stick. I think this scratch occurred when the barrel was made. Finally honed it enough to work OK. Scratches and small fine pits in a Johnson chamber, grab the brass and prevent proper cycling. I also received a .30-06 bare barrel with this problem and have tried 7 times to hone it clean. I don't recommend buying an incomplete barrel which you cannot test fire. Chances are, it has problems or it wouldn't be for sale. The rear locking collar, which had been purchased for the barrel, had been faced off and didn't have sufficent clearance for the bolt head. I have seen this several times. I believe it occurred when someone tried to reduce headspace by cutting on wrong piece. You must machine the barrel end and re-ream to correct headspace. Also set the middle collar forward equal amount. Use caution on buying used parts.