Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brian Alpert

JSAR receiver differences

3 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever noticed that most if not all of the no-prefix (that I have examined) receivers have an irregular "joint" where the radiator is welded and the A and B prefix ones have a well defined ridge machined at this point. It is almost like the receivers were put together on 2 different lines with slightly different finishing jigs. I wonder what accounts for this since the no prefix and prefix rifles were manufactured at the same time. Has anyone else noticed this or have any thoughts?

28v6jqq.jpg

adgfuw.jpgdq3ptw.jpg

33ons6g.jpg2m4au1h.jpg

2gsric3.jpg73ko76.jpg

I never looked closely at my two non-prefix and one A-prefix but will. I always wondered why it could not have been that there were indeed several fabrication lines running (non, A- and B-) and concurrent product made but different. the first jig may have been followed by two more made subsequently when there was a "rush of orders" for NPC. Also never questioned the use of production numbers even though they weren't concerned about using them in any order. I believe they were quality control numbers such that if something were wrong on a production process machine they could back-track from a bad item produced to the point before and after when the item was correct.

(Now I have to dig out the receivers and look!)

Regards all.

John D.

Johnson Automatics manufacturing Co. had two Thompson automatic electric arc-welding machines that were installed at the Cranston plant for production of JSAR and LMG receivers.

The differences most likely are different set-ups on the two machines.