Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
apss282

Heinz 57 Johnson/DROR 30/06

9 posts in this topic

Here is an unusual semi-auto 30/06 rifle that I built about 15 years ago. With the accumulation of Johnson parts over the last 30 years....I'd assembled a number of semi-auto Johnsons and Dror rifles, using "SEMI-AUTO" recievers. This one uses the 1941 LMG trigger housing and buttstock, Dror magazine housing (uses BAR mags), LMG barrel, M14 bi-pod.

post-753-083485700 1277416531_thumb.jpg

post-753-060447700 1277416560_thumb.jpg

post-753-099299400 1277416619_thumb.jpg

post-753-012541100 1277416634_thumb.jpg

Very nice. I'd love to have one of those. What's the hinge looking assembly at the lower left side of the mag well? Was there a door to keep out the sand when the mag was removed?

Thanks , Chris

That's neat, in it's own special way. It would sure be fun to play "Guess what this is?" with.

I can think of a few ranges I could take something like that to and get all kinds of unwanted "education". Everything from "My uncle carried one" to "The reason those were no good was because...".

That is certainly a neat combination of parts and a great result. I would like to build one like it. I recall a few months ago, Rock Island Auctions had one that was similar along with 3 other "Heinz" Johnson/Dror varieties that they were advertising as rare Johnson semi-auto prototypes. As I recall, some sold, some did not.

Chris

It's....as you guessed....a hinged door to keep dirt out of the mag-well housing. Its spring loaded....but can be locked open.

David

[

Barry

It is unusual....and most people wouldn't guess what it was. I've only test fired it....never had it at a range.

David

Brian

Yes....those were all mine. They were not prototypes....just composite guns that I manufactured many years ago. All of them sold....except the one pictured here. Which I've decided to keep. All the Dror's were built form the parts kits that IMA sold a number of years ago. They had a few .303 kits....but "NO" magazines. I bought one kit, as I'd had a magazine in my accumulation of MG parts.....and I've never seen another. It sold at the RIA auction. They didn't bring anything near what I wanted....but what the heck....the economy isn't what it was 3 years ago either. I still have some of the DROR kits & parts.

David