Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M48TANKER

New Acquisitions

6 posts in this topic

Well Guys, I had a good week. :D Look at the pictures that I just posted in the Gallery section. A long time neighbor came to see me and brought a couple of knives to sell. One is a US M4 bayonet used on the M1/2 Carbine. The sheath for this one is not original to the knife, but it's a really old "Navy" sheath..I think. The bayonet has all the correct marks for an Imperial US M4 guard marked bayonet. The other knife is a 1918 Trench Knife called a Knuckle Knife. It too has all the marks of being an original LF&C trench knife, with brass cast knuckle grip and blackening on both the grip and the blade. The scabbard is of the "French" design, I think, and unmarked..with a dent in the tip end and soldered or welded on belt clips.

Then I received the book that I found on Amazon.com and it's what I hoped it would be. :D:D To me it appears to be an original NOS and unissued "TM 226" for the 1941 Johnson rifle. It still has the fold-out section in the back. There is not a smudge, crinkle, bent corner, or any other sign of it ever being touched by human hands. :rolleyes: (I'm not sure if this rules out space aliens or not.) The cover is made of a thin "cardboard" like material, thicker than the pages of the book. On the back of the cover it has stamped TM 226. (It is in 100% condition...just unbelievable.) So....give me your opinions on any and all of my acquisitions. I buy or trade for them as if they are fakes, and hope that they are the real deal. M48TANKER

hey

Tanker,

The manual is quite a good reproduction but there are 2 things that I can see that give this away as such. I think these 'TM226" copies were sold in Shotgun News by a place that sells manuals and books.

Contact me via a PM and I'll let you know what to look for in a genuine rifle and lmg manual. If I publish that type of info it gives the fakers a clue how to get better!!

A good trade all the same as it's a realistic looking manual and will look better with your Miltech than the one they supply in the wooden box, IMO.

As a tip, never store historic documents in plastic. Go to Staples or Office Depot and get some of the archive quality non-acidic documents slips. They are worth the extra expense.

Webmaster, You know what they say about something that seems too good to be true...it's usually a fake! I'm glad I didn't give too much for the thing. I already have a couple of obvious reproductions and was really hoping this one would be real...oh well. It is too nice to be real. However it's close enough to make a good display until I learn from you how to tell the difference. I was able to keep a buddy of mine from buying a reproduction bayonet because I knew what to look for. Thanks for your insight and I'll pm you for the rest of the story. TANKER

Well, it seems that the manual I found on Amazon.com is just a reproduction after all. :angry2: No wonder it seemed too good to be true. The seller did not represent the manual as an original and would give me my money back, but it's not worth the trouble. :rolleyes: I've added a notation on the photos in my Gallery to let others know what they are looking at. I don't want someone else assuming that the manual is the real deal! It's still a good useful manual, just not a collector's item but a fake. M48TANKER

The original manuals of that type which I own all have rounded corners for ease of inserting into pockets and the covers were embossed to look like leather( like old Bibles). With the bad feelings between US Army and the Johnson Automatics Company, I don't think the army ever gave it a Tech Manual assignment. If so,the number would have been on the front.

Thanks for the information Joe. I'm now aware of what to look for. Live and learn...just don't pay a whole lot in the process! :D Mike