Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roverboy

Is this a Winfield?

7 posts in this topic

I was wondering if this is a Winfield Johnson? The barrel isn't original and the front sight neither. Also the bayo lug is gone. Any help will be appreciated.

post-754-021248600 1282233894_thumb.jpg

Well, I'm no expert, but the front sight looks about like mine did when I got it, except mine was missing the front sight hood. From what I gather, mine was a Winfield.

Barry,did you rebarrel yours or leave it as is? Mine shoots really good. The rifle overall looks good and operates good.

It is kind of hard to tell for sure unless it has the Winfield marked recoil pad. The bbl looks like a Winfield deluxe Sporter bbl. The buttstock has the contours of a Winfield Standard sporter but does not look like it has a recoil pad. I cannot tell what the buttplate looks like. It might have been added later after the recoil pad deteriorated like most do after 50 years. The overwhelming majority of Sporters (and military configuration) came from Winfield yet the only place they were marked Winfield was on the recoil pad.

Brian Alpert, its not got a recoil pad. But it does have the strange butt plate like the one mentioned on another thread. The thread that says 1st Generation Buttplate. Wierd looking thing. I'd like to restore it someday when my funds are better. I got a super buy on it. Thanks.

Barry,did you rebarrel yours or leave it as is? Mine shoots really good. The rifle overall looks good and operates good.

I sent the barrel to Joseph Scott, who took the banded sight off, replaced it with the military type, put a bayonet lug back on, and refinished it. My stock was similar to yours to, except having the recoil pad. He also replaced that and transferred all the parts over.

It changed the rifle completely in my eye. Much better.

I recommend Barry's solution. Beware of getting aftermarket buttstocks elsewhere. Scott's are "drop in" and function properly whereas many others require much fitting and never accept the recoil tube and stock keys properly. Some will not even function. Been there...done that.