Bobcat

JLAR Lubrication

4 posts in this topic

Hello All-

Thanks to the directions on this site (and a phone call to Joe Scott) I have mine field stripped and cleaned. Now for lube. I'm of the old school- if it slides,grease it, if it spins, oil it - but I sure would like to hear what the factory ssid about this topic. I have a reprint of the manual on order but, if someone could help me here, I'd appreciate it.

Regards,

Bobcat

Well , I guess I'm old , old school. A rifle does not have a pumping lube system , like a car engine for example. What is there to lube at the start is what is there at the end , there is no extra being pumped there. Also , what is spinning , if it is not just rotational sliding ? If a surface moves or is moved upon , I grease it with the grease out of the little Garand pots. If not , I just oil it with a good , high quality , clear gun oil, mainly for rust protection. The only exception is something like revolver guts where you have many small , delicate parts moving in very tight tolerances. For there , I have a can of singer sewing machine oil , which you can understand if you've ever looked at a running sewing machine. It's made for small , tight , high speed apps.

Chris