Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oldtirediron

Rust Removal

4 posts in this topic

This product is too good to be true -- You will not believe it unless you use it-- I had a basement full of rusted ruined reloading equipment ; presses frozen solid like a rock. Dillon wouldn't mess with them because they said when they have tried to disassemble presses in the past the frames cracked. I submerged my presses in this stuff and was able to disassemble both of them in the normal way in less than 24 hours-- Sure klean up is still needed but the press with be useable again instead of buying a new one. I had many rusty buttplates that were submerged and heavily rusted-- After a few hours the rust came off ; no real pitting underneath-- Checkered buttplates need a little scrubbing with a stainless brush however but they came back nice and clean. This product is endorsed by the NRA and everyone else that has used it; The US government bought tank cars full of it for post Katrina clean up ! This product is simply amazing ! see their website; www.orisonmarketing.com

You may want to type in Evapo-rust in your search engine much more comes up in much greater detail on this product!

The website states it's great for rust removal off iron and steel parts but can also remove finishes, e.g. "Parkerizing" which is a phosphate oxide.

WEAPONS / FINISH COMPATIBILITY

EVAPO-RUST® is highly recommended by the NRA gunsmithing school and is utilized by FBI, CIA, NATO and other law enforcement and forensics agencies. EVAPO-RUST® perfect for removing weapon finishes such as Bluing, Parkerizing, Zinc Phosphate, and Browning. Anodizing, powder coating, chrome, nickel, ion bonding, paint, and most other coatings will not be removed as long as they do not contain oxides. EVAPO-RUST® will not harm lead or solder points.

diggerj

In my experience this stuff converts the red oxide rust into a brownish goo--I have used it on many things that I would have just blasted and reparked in the past but after usung this chemical-- the parts were acceptable as-is. Some parkerize was stained a darker color but parkerized area's were not removed.I had a pile of complete garand bolts in a 5 gallon pickle bucket that became water filled- for over a year the bucket was full of nasty water and all the bolts were frozen solid. All bolts were soaked in this stuff and all were easily hand disassembled after 2 days soak.

Another bin had my dillon 550 in it and while this bin became wet it was not fully filled with water. Unfortunately my 550 dillon was frozen up-- also where dillon couldn't get the main shaft loose. They were afraid of breaking the aluminum housing. I soaked this for a week in the evapo-rust and the shaft was able to be removed with a hydraulic press-- My flood disaster would have been much worse with out this chemical and I do believe it is also a big break through in rust removal!

The main shaft is steel and the press is aluminum and there was a nasty electro-galvanic action going on there or the press would have come apart easily. After clean up the press and the shaft both were pitted but serviceable; the Evapo-rust agent saved me $250.00 right there !

You gents forgot to mention that the stuff is non-toxic/non-corrosive. You can flush it. I actually bought a 10' PVC pipe and soaked a WWI German cavalry lance and it came out like new. One caution, don't leave things soaking too long (weeks, months) or it dries into a goo. I forgot a buttplate in a container and it was cemented to the bottom.