Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paulco

Helping out a friend's widow

2 posts in this topic

A friend's widow dropped off a Johnson for me to sell for her. For some reason two dealers had no clue what the gun was because all the markings are crisp. This one has a sub 9000 serial number and a sporter stock of very nice walnut. The front sight has a hooded peep sight, and everything else appears original. Overall the gun is extremely clean and shows no major wear. Judging from the finish, i'd say it's been reblued because it shines wherever there's metal and there appears to be some extremely minor rust pits that were blued over. The barrel looks original and the bore is very decent. Looks like I need to clean it. I'm taking it to a gun show in the Chicago area this weekend and see what interest I can generate toward selling it for her. Any thoughts?

Looks like you have a sporter, probably Winfield which produced most of them. Sporterizing a Johnson, as with virtually all military rifles, significantly decreases the value. A Johnson sporter is worth around $2000, assuming the rifle works.