Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wubbman

Functioning Problem With New Rifle

6 posts in this topic

Well, I went to shoot my recent purchase (from this thread) the other day and didn't experience the greatest success. It fires fine, but failed to extract two thirds of the time. The extractor works fine, so fine that it tore the rim off of several cartridges while trying to extract. This left the case stuck in the chamber enough that a rod was required to tap it out. Upon close inspection, the throat of the chamber is extremely frosty and I guess the round is getting hung up at the throat. Would a fix to get it ejecting like normal be to hone and polish the chamber with some 1200 grit sandpaper, or something along those lines? If fed a few rounds of LC69 normally, but never once correctly fed HXP. Other than that, it was fun to shoot. Thanks for any remedies.

Well, if the barrel was dirty, the chamber would be also. It is always a good idea on a "new" acquisition, to have a qualified gunsmith take a look see prior to firing. They will check function and head space. And a competent smith will also check the chamber and bore. They can clean it up if necessary. I would venture to say that the chamber is dirty or pitted and when you fire, your brass is fire forming into the roughness, and thus "sticking" on extraction.

This is a typical problem on 41's. Try a shotgun wire brush and bore cleaner in chamber. If this doesn't help, chamber will need polishing. Turn a 1/2' wood dowel to shape of cartridge and split it for emery paper. Another trick is to polish a fresh cartridge with Scotch Brite to bright brass and fire it. Use a magnifier and examine for pulled metal which formed into any pits. These are usually very small but stop extraction. Last step may be to hone chamber with ball hone.

If you are firing reloads are you using SB (small base dies). In addition to a rough chamber you might have a tight one. I use SB's dies on all my military 30-06's. My johnson also extracts shells violently and tears them up as well.

Try shooting some new factory ammo and see if you have the same problem. My m14 had the same problem. I ended up sending my SB 308 dies and some once fired new ammo to RCBS for them to adjust the dies for fitting my m14's chamber. No problems since. good luck. Oh, RCBS did the work for free !! Only cost was for shipping the dies to them.

If your rifle is throwing the cases a long distance and dinging the shoulder, check the length of your main spring, it should be 12". A correct length spring usually fixes that problem.

Thanks for the replies, all. I've done exactly nothing with the rifle since getting home (I'm on leave from the Army), but will attend to it soon. When it did extract and feed correctly, it didn't throw the cases far at all, so I think the spring is a non-issue. I wasn't firing reloads, so that is a non-issue as well. I will see what I can do with the chamber. I'll you know what happens the next time I fire it, which may not be anytime soon, as there isn't a good rifle range in my current area. Thanks again for the advice!