Drill Sergeant

1941 Johnson Values

2 posts in this topic

Always hard to say, because there aren't many really good ones for sale on a regular basis. My personal observation is that they came down from the peak when the economy hit the dumper, but that is true of all collectible guns. However, for the most part it seems this has just encouraged owners to hold on to them until prices come back, which I think they will. Personally I think it is a great time to buy one if you find it. I bought one a few weeks ago for $3850. At the peak of the market the gun might have been over $5000, with a few selling close to $8000. Unlike other invented Collectibles ( baseball cards and Bennie babies) collectible guns have real historical value and have always come back in value. I won't claim they are the worlds best investment, but if you enjoy owning them they tend to hold value well and appreciate modestly over time. The Johnson has a great story which will always draw collectors. With fewer than 30,000 made they are over 100 times rarer than an M1 Garand, Carbine, or Luger, yet the current price is only 2 to 8 times the price of these far more common guns. (obviously the market for Johnson rifles is smaller, but ask any serious WWII collector if they wish they had one and the answer is usually "yes" or "he!! Yes")

-wwiifirearms