Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Barry in IN

Johnson Indoor Target Gun

7 posts in this topic

There isn't really a category for this on the forum, but it is a Johnson "gun". I put it here since I didn't have a better idea.

I got this in the mail today. I bought it before Christmas. It's not a Red Ryder Carbine Action whatchamacallit with a compass in the stock, but I'm about as happy as Ralphie.

001-20.jpg

002-18.jpg

It's not perfect, but it's mine!

I knew when I bought it that it wasn't in the best shape, but it isn't as bad as I expected either. I don't think everything is there, but I don't think it is far off. It looks close to shootable, except for the obvious missing rubber band. (Funny how I was just happy to get it and wasn't expecting to get it operating until I got my hands on it. Now I want to shoot it.)

Aside from needing a rubber band, the trigger flops freely and it's mechanism doesn't catch or lock onto anything when the cocking ears are pulled back. I don't know if anything is missing in there or if it just needs freed up with some oil. I don't know what's supposed to be in there.

Any guidance on that would be appreciated.

It might be fun to shoot in the garage on these cold winter days.

You need some surgical rubber tubing to power it. I'll see what gauge/ thickness is on mine. Do you have the little BB carrier that slides about on top?

Mine came with the box, manual, targets and target frame. All that was missing was the 'Johnson Awards Program' Certificates.

A good find though in any condition.

Thanks. I think it's neat just to have.

I found some info here:

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/12/johnson-indoor-target-gun.html

I got brave and pulled a screw just now that allowed the top half to lift up so I could get a look inside. Comparing it to the pictures in the above link, it looks like I'm missing the part (tray? carrier) that actually holds the BBs when launching them.

The webmaster posted while I walked away and before I hit "enter". No, it's missing the BB carrier. It looks like everything is there but that and the band.

That was going to be my next question- What size tubing (now that I checked and saw it comes in every diameter imaginable), but now that I see my BB carrier is gone I guess that's the least of my concerns now.

Yours sound nice. From what I read on that airgun site, the box sounds like the hard thing to get.

This is a pretty interesting design. Now that I have it in my hand to look over, it's pretty neat seeing how it works.

Edit: I found a completed auction on AuctionArms of one, with more pictures. It looks like mine is missing one more part: the trigger return spring. I can make one of those, it looks like.

Oh Barry !! :lol: Now you've gone and done it. :rolleyes: Something else for me to lust after. Great find. I'll start looking for one for myself now. :unsure: It seems like it may be a good thing that I've got a pretty good start on a machine shop...parts are sure to be hard to come by. :wacko: If I can be of any assistance just let me know. M48TANKER

Thanks Tanker. Assistance? I could use the BB carrier thingy, but it looks to me it should be as lightweight as possible so the rubber band can sling it fast, so I think I can make something by stacking three pieces of thin sheet metal together that are cut to the right shape. It will be a nice winter day project if nothing else.