Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jayhovers

1903A3O3 Rear sight on Johnson

12 posts in this topic

Would it be possible to replace the rear sight with one from an O3A3? Was wondering how close the threads are. Thinking it might be a good way to get a finer aperature.

My first thought, thus question. "WHY?"

Aperture sights don't work by the size of the hole because the human eye centers in the hole no matter what size. I have seen many factory sights drilled out larger for hunting purposes so as to track a runing deer. Adding an 03 sight on a Johnson would decrease the value a great deal, in my opinion.

The idea was to get a finer aperature by removing the windage screw and peep sight and replacing it with a sight that could be messed with. When finished, putting the original windage screw and peep sight back. Just a thought.

Simple solution, let's do a trade. Send me the Johnson Rifle and I'll send you a real nice 03a3 rifle that shoots great. :D

Sound like a fair trade? ;)

-wwiifirearms

Appreciate the offer but I'm afraid my 1903 with the Winchester A5 scope and O3A4 would get jealous. Actually got the idea from a 1940 era photograph of a Johnson with what appears to be an adjustable peep sight.

Appreciate the offer but I'm afraid my 1903 with the Winchester A5 scope and O3A4 would get jealous. Actually got the idea from a 1940 era photograph of a Johnson with what appears to be an adjustable peep sight.

I have actually seen one with a m1 carbine adjustable rear site welded or soldered on to a modified rear site base. It wasn't well done or reversible, so it clearly hurt the value. The sights are a weak point in the design, so I can see why you and others explored these options. Up until the 1970's there was no reason to worry about hurting the collector value of these cheap surplus rifles. Today the challenge would be creating a reversible solution. I would think with a little "think time" you could find a way to clamp a better site on a JSAR.

-wwiifirearms

CAUTION NOT FOR THE EASILY OFFENDED.

You got me thinking... ...no I didn't actually try shooting this, mounting didn't require any changes to rifle and with a little fitting to the soft aluminum rings I think it wouldn't even mare the finish. I think the front ring would mount as well.

No rifles were harmed in the making of this film... ...so far.

50e6b059.png

-wwiifirearms

To me , the simplest solution would be the best. Joseph has the rear sight peep block and Numrich has reproduction rears. Buy those and weld-up / drill out to your heart's content . When it comes time to sell , replace with the origional parts. Simple.

Chris

Go have a look at Gunbroker auction...Item number: 260737630730

I placed a couple of bids on this item but I'm not in the running now. The sight appears to have been altered in a couple of ways. The "protective ears" look to be filed down, and the original peep hole was threaded to accept different "screw in peep apertures". I suppose you could change to any size peep hole you want, but this wouldn't be a reversible modification without buying a new sight leaf. This may have been an original sight to start with, but now it's the same price as a Numrich reproduction.

Also, Winfield Sporters made a scope mount for their Deluxe Sporters that used the original Johnson dovetail slot to accept the forward mounting block of the scope base. I've got a picture somewhere if I can find it. It looks pretty good and appears to "belong there"....on a sporterized rifle of course. M48TANKER