Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Scott

Tulsa show next weekend

7 posts in this topic

I will be at Tulsa upper level, table 19C2. I will have usual parts plus two sets of wood, one bare and one finished with buttplate, swivel, cross key, and main spring. Two 41's for sale. Come talk Johnson's. I just got my first parts inquiry from Russia. He sent pictures and seems to have a nice original gun. I asked how he got it. Joe

Hi joseph, I would like to know more about the two 41's you have for sale. You can contact me at preaction@verizon.net 856 401 2177 thanks paul. I am a new member

Tulsa Sunday morning report. My sale items: Have a restored gun with fair original bore for $5250 and a super nice original (my keeper rifle) for an-over-the rainbow asking price. Just fishing on this one. Quite a few Johnson's at show, varied from $4400 to $7995 asking price. All had minor to major problems. Bought two butchered up guns for parts. One is modified with a bottom straight 4 shot clip in place of the rotary magazine, scope mount, naked barrel. I can't even figure out how to get the clip assembly off. Likely will have to split the wood to get it out. The other has a cracked stock and cut down barrel. Even saw one with a M14 flash hider w/bayonet lug on the barrel. A good original barrel cut to 16" and the F/H added. "What an improvement?" Attendance is hugh, but not sure how much is selling. So far I have sold one $15 item.

Got another story on the USMC rifles. It seems when they left Gaudualcanal(sp?), there were trenches dug next to the beached landing craft and officers made them throw all of the hundreds of Johnson's in the trenches. That is why there are so few left. He got this from old 1st marine vets. Gosh, I just didn't know about this history.

Joe

Interesting, as I had heard that same story a couple years ago from a WWII Vet who died just recently. Was working on his computer and we got to talking guns. I sort of took that story with a grain of salt as when I queried him about the Johnson and how it performed in particular, he was really vague, It was not like I was getting info on first hand experience. Now I cannot get more info.

ArtR

My father, was a Seabee during WW2 and served in the South Pacific. :D He was on several different islands. I wish I'd asked him for all the details, but as so many of us do, I didn't get interested until it was too late. :( However I do remember him telling us that when the war ended and the guys were loaded up on troop ships for the trip home, they threw all their gear, guns, etc. overboard in sort of a celebration. :o (You couldn't do that now !!!)His issued weapon was an M2 carbine.